Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post and Beam - Sandwich or Post Cap

Posted by bibbo (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 20:04

Building a deck. Small. 8' x 10'.

Regarding my post and beam, which I only have three and then the ledger. I often see two design regarding how the beams are attached to the posts.

Sandwich - where (2) 2x12 are sandwhiched on the 4x4 beam. And then the joists would lay on top. Much like a Pergola.

Post Cap - Where (2) 2x12 are are put side by side and attached to the top of 4x4 beam with a post cap.

Which is better? Which is stronger?

thanks

jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post and Beam - Sandwich or Post Cap

Not a fan of sandwich, unless you are going to go with a 6x6 post and notch the post so the beams are sitting in the notches. If you just sandwich, the support of your posts rely on the bolts attachments. Check with your local code to see what is required.

o

We used a notched wood post beam connection, but you can't do that with a 4x4 post. How far off the ground is your deck going to be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Notched Wood Post Beam Connection

o

Current code says:
1. Use 6x6 posts, not 4x4.
2. Don't sandwich beams, either set them on top of the post with a post beam connector, or notch out the posts and set them on top of the horizontal part of the notch.

Lots of people made decks in the past (and many probably still do) with sandwiching, but post caps are better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here