Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lois19_gw

Deck sealing and staining

Lois19
11 years ago

We sanded our 20 year old pressure treated deck down to the bare wood. We plan to use twp1500 semitransparent oil based stain. We may not be able to stain it for about 2 weeks to a month. I was told that we should use a sealer in the interim to avoid having damage to the wood. I think a sealer might prevent the stain from penetrating. Would one month of unprotected , 20 old p t wood get damaged? Can I leave it alone until we stain? The railings are 10 months old new p t wood and we want to stain those first.

Comments (15)

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

The risk you run is that the hot summer sun will start to gray the decking before you get a chance to stain it. Here's an example of my garapa deck, where the stairs went in 3 weeks after the main decking.

We ended up resanding the whole thing right before we stained it.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

No reasealing necessary. Stain with DECKING stain.

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can see, from your photo that I need to stain the deck before 2 weeks goes by, or I'll have to re-sand it. Thanks! Great advice. Now that I know sealing to prevent damage in the interim isn't an option, I'll get a move on.

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

Just use deck sealer when you are ready to do the job, no need for any sealer in between. What grit paper did you use for the sanding and I SURE HOPE YOU USED A RESPIRATOR MASK AND A HEPA VACUUM TO CLAN UP.

• gd4274
    11 years ago

I used sikkens on my deck and it's peeling. I used a stripper and power sprayer and it's working ok. Can you sand the surface if the nails were driven in from the top?

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To CaptRandy,

We used 80 grit sandpaper and plan to use that for sanding the railing too. What do you think?

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

80 grit is the finest I would go. I prefer stripper over sanding.

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The railing is 10 months old pt wood that has never been sealed or stained. We built the railings last fall. So we thought the best prep would be sanding. What do you think?

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

It has no sealer on it just wash it with a brightener and let it dry to 12% then seal all areas.

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O.K No sanding the railings. So could we use a household bleach solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water to wash it?

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

NO BLEACH, a deck brightener Bleach "kills" the wood.

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got it. No bleach. Another question. Is there any reason to use a cleaner and brightener of the deck floor before staining since it has been sanded at least 2mm? It is OK to hose it with water instead and let it dry for 48 hours? It is CCA wood that is about 20 years old. I called TWP and they advised using a cleaner and brightener on the deck floor before staining even though I told them it had been sanded. I thought cleaners and brighteners on CCA wood was not a good idea. It is bad enough we had to sand it! What would the next step be before staining?

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

It would be getter to use the brightener on it to be sure no mold exists and to purge any dirt from the wood. Just be sure it is dry to 12% moisture content not by number of days drying.

• Lois19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CaptRandy, Thanks so much for all the tips! Do we need both a cleaner and a brightener or can we use just a brightener? Are the combination products, cleaner/brightener good?

We are using a stripper to get rid of the remaining white solid stain, as you suggested. It is woring but we have to power wash to remove the softened paint.

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

Cleaner/brightener in one be sure to use the brightener on the spindles as well to neutralize the stripper.