Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim12345_gw

Choosing Simpson connectors

tim12345
9 years ago

I'm planning to install a freestanding deck off of the back of my house. The deck will be 20x20 cantilivered 18" on all sides, with 3 rows of 3 footings and posts, 3 beams, and joists spaced every 12" to support trex decking.

Where I'm running into confusion is choosing the right strong tie connectors, given the number of options.

My main concerns are as follows:

1. Which post base to foundation connector? I want to use the AB style as I like the adjustability of the J bolt. I also know I will get the zmax coating. But, do I go with the ABA or ABU? The main difference I see is the uplift rating and cost difference. How do I know if the ABA is sufficient? I want to build the deck considering I may add a roof over part of it at a later date, so I don't know if this makes the difference and justifies the extra cost for the ABU and it's higher uplift rating. I live in Pennsylvania, and we do get some decent wind in our neighborhood but we aren't in tornado territory.

2. Which post cap to beam connector to use? Due to future plans to potentially add roof, I plan on having both 4x4 and 6x6 posts. On both size posts I'll have double 2x12s as the beams. For the 4x4 post, I was going to use the bcsz cap, and on the 6x6 I was going to use the lpcz as I think it's adjustable to attach the double 2x12 to the 6x6 post. Am I using the right connectors? Any better ones to use?

3. Beam to joist connectors. Was planning on using h1z on all interior joists and h2.5az on exterior joists. Are these needed on BOTH sides of each beam, or just one per beam? Any other suggestions on connector to use?

4. Stair stringers. Lscz vs. lsu/lssu and not sure of the difference. Do the lsu or lssu require an extra tall rim joist for the connector to attach properly vs the Lscz attaching to a regular sized joist? Could use help here.

I appreciate any help!

Comment (1)