Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice needed for repairing porch

Posted by yuna (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 19:10

Hi everyone. The very top step of my porch was damaged some time ago. In attempt to fix it, I ended up removing a piece of trim that was affixed to the edge - it was pretty shattered. At first I thought I could just replace that piece of trim but the trim was attached with these round discs that protrude into middle of the trim and I am not sure if I can reproduce this attachment. And as you can see, the top step is kind of weathered at the edge but aside from that area, the rest of the porch floor is in pretty good shape and I would like to keep it if possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas how I can tackle this problem. Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice needed for repairing porch

That is called a biscuit joint. Cut back to good wood and try the local lumber yard for stair nosing or landing tread. It will be for interior so you'll have to adapt, and it may only be available in oak.
Find the nosing material before making the cut. Pay attention to the thickness where it meets the existing. Ask the guys where you buy it for attachment advice.

o
RE: advice needed for repairing porch

I can't see this project possibly being worth the investment into a biscuit jointer, although it may be possible to rent one.

The porch material looks to be plywood. I'd cut it back to beyond the damage and replace it. Depending on how the joists run, you may need to cut it back to the next joist.

I wouldn't bother with biscuits for the trim piece. Use outdoor rated construction adhesive and some trim screws to attach it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here