Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zebadie

one time stain

zebadie
17 years ago

I am about to build a new deck (cedar) and am doing research about best practices for construction and maintance. while doing said research I came across a product called one time wood protection that says it will protect wood up to 7 or 8 years w/o the need to retreat. Does this follow the old saying about if it is to good to be true it is. Has anyone used this product, or have any knowledge of the material it is made of? www.onetimewood.com

Comments (16)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

This product follows the old saying in Spades. J

• tninos
    17 years ago

I have used it on my 14x25 deck and so far so good. I know these guys don't think it will hold up so we'll see. I put it on about 2 1/2 months ago. If you search this forum by typing in deck sealer and one time wood you can see all of the previous posts. So far, I have never seen negative comments from someone who has actually used the product. I do however, respect John H and Pressurepros opinions but I took the chance.

• nra4usa
    17 years ago

I have used a lot of this stuff and it works. Like the previous poster stated, ignore negative comments from people who have not actually used it!!

Here are tips I strongly advise you to take to heart:

1) Don't be stupid and build a deck out of cedar! Cedar is an extremely soft wood and will quickly be dinged and dented by normal traffic. Have you ever seen a cedar floor inside a home? Of course not - it's too soft! If cedar is not suitable for the weather protected indoors what makes you think it is suitable for the extreme conditions of the outdoors? Also, cedar is most certainly NOT rot or insect resistant! that's BS. The only thing that cedar has going for it is that it is a lightweight wood that is dimensionally stable. But like I said it is too soft for any foor.

2) One time wood works great BUT only in "Clove Brown". CLove Brown has the EXACT SAME pigment as One Time Wood Natural but 5 times the amount. This extra pigment in CLOVE Brown is what blocks the UV from reacning the wood fibers of your deck and turning it gray. I have had Clove Brown on now for over 3 years and it still looks great. Remember, it is the pigment that protects your wood from turning gray and the more the better.

All of the other deck products that contain various organic oils such as linseed, tung, etc. are antiquated crap. These oils brak down under the sun and simply become food for mold and bacteria.

Try One time Wood in CLove Brown on pressure treated pine or Ipe - you will like the results.

• mjh5
    17 years ago

nra4usa,

What wood is your deck made of? Can you post some pictures of your deck?

• tninos
    17 years ago

nra4usa ----hmmmm, I used the natural and I don't want it to turn grey. So far it hasn't but it's only been 3 months. I don't want to have to do this again for awhile.

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

trino, unfortunately, by this time next year it will be gray.

• seeformiles
    16 years ago

Well, now that another year has passed, what's the prognosis on One Time? Pressurepros and John Hyatt, have you been called to any decks that used One Time in a color? I need to know! Thanks!

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

Our deck two years ago was done with a stain that contained extra pigment. The sales pitch was it did not need to be restained as often. However the negative side effect is that even two years later walking on it with bare feet causes the soles of your feet to turn reddish brown. Lovely? I think not. We are in the queue to have the deck pressure washed and re sealed (the deck worker told us even though the pigment remains the sealant often does not). We certainly would not recommend a super pigment product in the future. Ask your installer to give you a sample to test yourself.

• seeformiles
    16 years ago

dgmarie, was that the One Time stain with extra pigment or another brand?

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

I wish I knew. I will ask the new deck guy. He knew the name of it. I'll be glad when it is gone.

• dave4270
    15 years ago

Regarding the stain not drying or staining feet, it was likely applied over a previous product containing wax, or some other product not completely removed. You always need to strip previous products completely to use the One Time. If the One Time does not cure for some reason, you just clean off the uncured material(Simple Green works). If it is applied properly, it just cures in the sunlight. That is why we like the One Time. We have never had a bad experience with any of our jobs using One Time. I wish I could say that about the other 20 or so products we have tried over the years.

I do agree it is best to use the clove brown or darker colors, and we will refresh color for most clients at about 4 or 5 years depending on the deck. Like I stated in some other posts about One Time deck stain- it is the easiest deck sealer to apply, it is practically impossible to get lap marks, and we dont have to bleach or use hard chemicals when our customers want to refresh the color.

You can see some good pictures of the colors at the paintsource website.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Time Colors

• srosso
    15 years ago

i would like to install a new cedar deck and let it go silver gray like the siding on houses at the seashore. we have no dogs or kids and will not need to shovel it in the winter, so i think the softness of the wood is ok. my question is: if i want it to turn silver, do i just install it and do nothing? thanks. sherry

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Do Nothing Sherry. John Mon

• slippery_biscuit
    15 years ago

There is one thing you ought to do... Any exterior board (hardwood or soft) begins to decay most often at the ends where the cut is made. Every cut I make for a deck or fence gets sealed with a paraffin based sealer. Looks like milk but drys clear. Some care is required that it doesn't get splashed onto the exposed board surface (it will look like the ends have wax on them, which it is). After you get your nice gray tone, then you could treat with a clear penetrating sealer.

Lots of people rip cedar apart, but I think it has a very useful place and can give years of enjoyment.

• jwroblesk
    15 years ago

Experienced homebuilders will tell you cedar is the only way to go.

• mikeyvon
    15 years ago

i love cedar for decks. I have not had it (building our first home) but have my folks and many friends with cedar decks that look great and last for years. I will be using readyseal on my cedar deck. The only downside of cedar is the cost.