Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missred1

Composite materials?

Missred1
10 years ago

Would anyone consider building a porch or deck with the composites that Lowes and Home Depot now sell? The material always looks so clean and splinter free, but my husband says it won't hold up like wood. If you have actually constructed one made of composite materials, I'd love to hear from you!

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I would use composite any day of the week but never from HD, Lowes, or any box store.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I agree with the above. I LOVE my composite deck and will never go back to wood. I spent years cleaning, sealing, staining, and repairing wood decks and the only thing I've done on my 10 yr old composite deck is spray a cleaner (maybe once a year) on the edges where the automatic sprinkler oversprays. That area tends to get a few dark spots but it's easily removed.

There are plenty of companies specializing in decking materials and they usually offer several colors and brands to choose from. Do a google search for companies in your area.

• thedeckbarn.com
    10 years ago

Fiberon Horizons Ipe is the best looking decking on the planet, holds up real well, I've been installing it for 3 1/2 years, have it on 200 decks
    steve scholl

• ckerr007
    8 years ago

If anyone is still checking this thread (and seconding Steve Scholl), I had Fiberon Horizons Ipe (distributed at the time by CertainTeed under the name "Evernew PT") installed for my front porch/deck about 3 years ago. No warping, separating, or problem mold/mildew, and the dark color is holding very well. Only maintenance is to blow it off periodically with a leaf blower and scrub it with dish soap every fall. There is one small scratch, not really noticeable unless inspecting closely. We'll see if the 20 or 25 year warranty (can't remember) plays out, but so far Fiberon Horizons remains a strong recommend from me. The dark color and wood-like appearance, plus warranty and competitive price, sold me originally.

• alisamu
    8 years ago

steve or ckerr - does the Fiberon get very hot? We are trying to decide on a material for our deck. It's new construction, north/northwest facing, bayfront (so lots of salt and sand as well as sun) and the lighter colors don't look nice with our siding and roof choices. My husband is concerned about the deck surface getting too hot, as he prefers not to have to put on shoes to hang out outside. Would we be better off with a redwood or tropical hardwood? I think I should probably start a new topic....

• ckerr007
    8 years ago

I can't really help much on the heat question. Mine is on the north side of the house under soffit so it doesn't get a lot of direct sun. And I don't walk around barefoot that often. Can't test it now either as the Michigan winter has officially started. Sorry.

• qbryant
    8 years ago

Lowes sales fiberon,moisture shield,and trex so whats the difference,just because lowes sales it,is it different than fiberon,moisture shield or trex sold anywhere else?