Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of ceiling fan required for gazebo?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 16:55

Hi All,
I am wanting to buy a ceiling fan for my outdoor gazebo but need to know if you think I can get away with a standard fan or if I need a damp or wet location fan.Its going to be mounted at the top of my gazebo which is made out of powder coated metal. I'm thinking the way its constructed the ceiling stays dry in heavy rains. I'll take it down in winter. Any ideas? Here is a picture of the gazebo to show the top.
Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of ceiling fan required for gazebo?

You definitely need an exterior rated fan. That is what I was told when we built our screen porch. I believe the issue is high humidity more than cold temperatures. I suppose if you lived in the desert you get away with a standard fan.

Casablanca makes a couple of nice exterior rated fans. This way you won't need to take it down in the winter.

Marty

o

Yeah there are a ton of nice ones. One in particular catches my eye but its for interior use. I could probably get away with it BUT if it got wet and quit I'd be angry I threw away $300 :-)

You think I could get away with a damp location fan rather than a wet location fan?

Thanks!

o

I don't see why not. The fan is up high so shouldn't get wet.

o

Well yesterday we had a torrential thunderstorm. Knocked down some small tree limbs and we got about 3 inches of rain. Existing fan had some water spots on it but was relatively dry. We've never had a storm that strong in some time so I'm thinking a "damp" fan will be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here