Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help figuring out how to restore a new/old redwood deck

Posted by sonaliagrawal (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 16:49

This deck is a redwood deck. This is how it was a couple of weeks ago:

I had my contractor replace the damaged planks with new redwood:

Next up they are going to power wash it along with the railing. I am totally lost on what should I do after the powerwashing is done. Being in the SF bay area, this deck is in full sun all summmer, and in full rain most winter. It currently has an opaque behr stain inherited from previous home-owners. The deck is uncovered.

After the powerwashing, do I need to use a deck cleaner? After that can I just use a TWP stain to re-stain it? Would opaque be better due to full sun and rain exposure? Any constructive input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help figuring out how to restore a new/old redwood deck

Do not powerwash any outdoor project.

Drift on over to>> www.woodrich-brand.com << and do what they say. J.

o

Thank you. Watching their video now. Will probably have more questions then :)

o

I was hoping to use Sikkens, as it is well received by the boards and it is locally available in a brick-and-mortar store in my area. What prep steps would you recommend I follow if I use Sikkens ? Also, what are your thoughts on Sikkens?

o

Never used it. Same prep. J.

o

Are there any products comparable to Woodrich's step 1 and step 2 that I can buy locally?

o

Nope. Depending on the behr finish on there its most likely it will take md 80. Even then some sanding with an orbital will be needed.

You have everything you need a click away. Use It. J.

o

Thank you for the input! Thats what I will do.

o

Last question - would the woodrich cleaner get rid of the solid stain/paint that I currently have on this deck? I just checked, it is a Cabot stain (not a behr stain like I previously mentioned).

o

The citric base stripper is good for finish thats not real heavey. Yours is very heavey in fact its like paint. From this far away I am thinking md80,as I said before,is what your gunna have to use.

Follow the instrustions on the site and the container this stuff as a little rugged,not all that great on plants, and not real good on You done incorectley. J.

o

I just used the Woodrich deck cleaner and it worked great. It took a couple applications to get all the gunk up (been 7 years) but did a great job!

o

Al and All you cant beat those guy's. Pretty good outfit. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here