Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rogeryung

Installing IPE over concrete porch

rogeryung
13 years ago

Hi, This is my first post....

I have a covered concrete porch in the front of my house. I would like to cover it in IPE. I have one step from the floor of the porch to the front door (6-8" high). To keep the the height of the new floor to a minimum, I'm thinking of laying down 1x2 pressure treated wood perpendicular to the front of the house to act as joists (wide side of the board against the floor). I plan on using a hammer drill with tapcons and liquid nails to secure them to the concrete. By going perpendicular, any snow or rain that does hit the floor should run off the porch (it does grade away). I then plan on getting 1x6 ipe deck boards and attaching them with 1 1/4 stainless steel scews to the joists (parallel to the face of the house)

I then plan on adding a PVC trim board to the exterior vertical wall of the porch to hide the concrete wall. Everything below that will be covered by plants, or worst case, I'll paint the concrete to match my foundation.

Does anyone see any problem with this? Will the PT joists stay attached to the concrete with out cupping/warping? For the most part, the porch always is dry. (when we do have a strong thunderstorm or windy snow, then it gets wet)

Thanks for any feedback

Roger

Comments (4)