Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Pressure Treated Porch Floor

Posted by DeniseTW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 16:18

We have a newly installed pressure treated pine porch floor. We want to paint it and I've research as much as possible, and found this on the "Southern Pine" website"

"Paint may be used successfully on roof-protected porch floors. For optimum results, first treat the wood with a paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. After the floor dries, a primer and two topcoats of porch and deck enamel should be applied. Porch enamel is especially formulated to resist abrasion and wear. Solid-color stains should never be used on flat surfaces such as decks and porches, because of their low resin content".

The problem is finding a water-based paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. I've found a few oil-based ones and was wondering if a water-based primer and paint would adhere to it, as water-based is what is recommended.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Pressure Treated Porch Floor

In general, I believe you can put water-based paint over oil-based paint / primer, but you should NOT put oil-based paint over water-based paint / primer.

I would recommend going to a REAL paint store (e.g. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams) and ask them for advice. Don't use their "contractor" products. Use their top-of-the-line products. Initially, their top products may cost more, but they will save money in the long run, and they will look fabulous (when properly applied). To guarantee compatibility of paints, primers & sealers, use paint products from the same manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Painting How To's - Sherwin-Williams

o
RE: Painting Pressure Treated Porch Floor

Thank you Gypsy, you answered my question. I will go to a real paint store for this. I really appreciate you answering the question, rather than giving too many opinions. Don't get me wrong, I thrive on opinions, but I have researched this issue and just needed that information. Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here