Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltidawg

Deck Helmet

SaltiDawg
9 years ago

I've got a 25+ year old wooden deck that is structurally sound, but has developed large splinters and some amount of board cupping.

I'm no longer physically up to DIY, so I'm looking at Deck Helmet or similar.

Does anyone have any experience with either this company OR competing solutions?

Also, any WAGs as to cost per square foot or other measure?

EDIT: I did do a search here and got one hit with two posts - no help what so ever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Helmet

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:19

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

deleted so I don't kill another thread.......

This post was edited by millworkman on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:32

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted to avoid a duel with an unarmed man (or woman.)

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:47

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Ok, I will delete my post but it will not change my opinion. And how did my opinion kill the post anyone else is free to disgree.

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still hoping to hear from anyone with some actual knowledge or experience with Deck Helmet.

I actually have them coming out tomorrow to give me a price. Their selling techniques are available at youtube.

To replace my deck, which again is structurally sound, would be foolish. Options would include replacing the deck planking and railings.... alternatively a system such as this Deck Helmet is appealing as it presumably a one or two day effort.

The cost to replace my entire deck would be something north of $40K. A SWAG at the cost of replacing just the decking is maybe $10K.

I didn't make my millions by throwing $40K at a problem that could be solved with a $10K fix or possibly with a Deck Helmet or similar approach.... and certainly didn't rely on suggestions from posts that simply nay say without any suggestion of either experience or knowledge.

I REALLY would love to get some solid advice.

Thanks in advance.

s/ Retired Navy Submariner

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Followup:

I believe I was mistaken and Deck Helmet is not yet a franchise chain. I believe they are only in Northern Virginia (see EDIT below) serving the MD/VA/DC Metropolitan area.

I had them out today to provide me an estimate. Bottom line, I signed a contract with them that includes replacing some decking and replacing the tops of my railings. Low Pressure Wash and the various staining, treatments, and coatings.

If someone in this are finds this thread in the future and I'll share my experience with them. Presumably by then I'll have an informed opinion as to whether this was a good or a bad decision!

EDIT: They are actually located in Bethesda, MD, NOT "Northern VA."

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:36

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deck Helmet did come out list week and scrubbed and low pressure washed my deck.

I had a highly rated contractor, that I have used before, come out and give me an estimate to replace all of the decking and the horizontal top rail on my railing. $10K.

Deck Helmet is charging me just under $5K.

Of course, the verdict is not in YET as to the Deck Helmet system. Lots of my neighbors are waiting to see my finished product - the home in my neighborhood here in the MD suburbs of DC were all built in 1973 plus or minus. IF htis system is of any value, it will at least present an option to many of them.

Of course, I will want to see how this system holds up over a period of years.

Not looking for a debate, just will present observations on the install in case someone in the future is considering this system for an aging deck surface.

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before photo.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:49

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After Photo

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 13:52

• Salome Harrison
    8 years ago

May I see the after photos of your deck? I have Deck Helmet coming to give me an esitmate tomorrow for the deck of my townhouse.

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Had the above for over a year now - the picture is from a year ago. All in all, I'm satisfied. I had a few minor problems with blistering - bubbles maybe the size of a quarter on the railings in areas that they had filled but not let cure long enough.

I still feel it was too expensive, but I was a willing buyer. I see in the DC area there is another firm advertising on TV for a similar product. I'd certainly contact them also.

Deck Helmet refused to give me any references - are you in the MD suburbs?

• Salome Harrison
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info. I live in Bowie, MD. What is the other company? I appreciate any info you have or recommendations.

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can't remember the name... it's all over the local TV stations.

I just google the subject and got http://deck-armor.com/

This MAY be the one on TV... again I have no experience or knowledge about them.