Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Helmet

Posted by saltidawg (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:14

I've got a 25+ year old wooden deck that is structurally sound, but has developed large splinters and some amount of board cupping.

I'm no longer physically up to DIY, so I'm looking at Deck Helmet or similar.

Does anyone have any experience with either this company OR competing solutions?

Also, any WAGs as to cost per square foot or other measure?

EDIT: I did do a search here and got one hit with two posts - no help what so ever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Helmet

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Helmet

deleted so I don't kill another thread.......

This post was edited by millworkman on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:32

o

Deleted to avoid a duel with an unarmed man (or woman.)

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:47

o

Ok, I will delete my post but it will not change my opinion. And how did my opinion kill the post anyone else is free to disgree.

o

Still hoping to hear from anyone with some actual knowledge or experience with Deck Helmet.

I actually have them coming out tomorrow to give me a price. Their selling techniques are available at youtube.

To replace my deck, which again is structurally sound, would be foolish. Options would include replacing the deck planking and railings.... alternatively a system such as this Deck Helmet is appealing as it presumably a one or two day effort.

The cost to replace my entire deck would be something north of $40K. A SWAG at the cost of replacing just the decking is maybe $10K.

I didn't make my millions by throwing $40K at a problem that could be solved with a $10K fix or possibly with a Deck Helmet or similar approach.... and certainly didn't rely on suggestions from posts that simply nay say without any suggestion of either experience or knowledge.

I REALLY would love to get some solid advice.

Thanks in advance.

s/ Retired Navy Submariner

o

Followup:

I believe I was mistaken and Deck Helmet is not yet a franchise chain. I believe they are only in Northern Virginia (see EDIT below) serving the MD/VA/DC Metropolitan area.

I had them out today to provide me an estimate. Bottom line, I signed a contract with them that includes replacing some decking and replacing the tops of my railings. Low Pressure Wash and the various staining, treatments, and coatings.

If someone in this are finds this thread in the future and I'll share my experience with them. Presumably by then I'll have an informed opinion as to whether this was a good or a bad decision!

EDIT: They are actually located in Bethesda, MD, NOT "Northern VA."

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:36

o

Deck Helmet did come out list week and scrubbed and low pressure washed my deck.

I had a highly rated contractor, that I have used before, come out and give me an estimate to replace all of the decking and the horizontal top rail on my railing. $10K.

Deck Helmet is charging me just under $5K.

Of course, the verdict is not in YET as to the Deck Helmet system. Lots of my neighbors are waiting to see my finished product - the home in my neighborhood here in the MD suburbs of DC were all built in 1973 plus or minus. IF htis system is of any value, it will at least present an option to many of them.

Of course, I will want to see how this system holds up over a period of years.

Not looking for a debate, just will present observations on the install in case someone in the future is considering this system for an aging deck surface.

o

Deck Helmet called two days ago and came to my home today. Three carpenters, nine hours. Hard workers.

Replaced the contracted pieces and also a whole lot more. ("The Salesmen miss a lot of needed repairs.")

Professional work, cleaned up completley and hauled away all debris. (I tipped $40 each and also bought lunch.)

Deck looks absolutely gorgeous... I must admit, I don't see how the labor and materials add up to $5K, but it is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agreed upon.

I will try to post back in a few weeks and also some time in the future so that a potential future customer gets at least one sense of cost and value.

I remain hopeful that I have done a smart thing and that any problems that might crop up are both covered and corrected by their Ten Year Warranty.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 20:58

o
BEFORE Photo

Before photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: BEFORE Photo

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:49

o
AFTER Photo

After Photo

Here is a link that might be useful: AFTER Photo

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 13:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here