Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to fasten railing assembly to porch?

Posted by fern4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:17

I'm getting ready to make a wood railing for a balcony and I'm unclear on the best way to attach the railing assembly to the sides of the house (and the single 4x4 post in the middle).

I've seen that you can use diagonal screws through the upper and lower rails (or Kreg screws) into the house/post. I've seen that you can hold the post up with nothing more than trim that goes around the ends of the rails (doesn't look safe enough). What other options are there? Safety is paramount, aesthetics important too!

And if I'm using Kreg screws is there a particular location on the rail or direction of the screws that's best?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to fasten railing assembly to porch?

Usually you'd have a post next to the house so you'd attach the railing to both posts. I assume by Kreg screws you mean pocket hole screws from the underside. That's what I did, though I screwed it in from the backside because I used a vertical 2x4 topped with a horizontal 2x6.
Photobucket

o
RE: how to fasten railing assembly to porch?

Yes, pocket hole screws. Thank you for the picture; that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here