Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slothinker_gw

ground clearance for planned ipe deck

slothinker
13 years ago

The contractor I'm working with has recently completed the demo phase and framing phase for a 180 sq. foot deck adjacent to my home.

The house is in the California central coast, moderate climate and low rainfall. The deck in in an area which will get rain, of course, but not the brunt based on typical direction of rainfall around here. We don't get fog or much morning dew. The ground is clay.

Based on drainage requirements, etc. the bottom of the deck boards will be approxiately 8-inches off the ground. The ground itself is dirt covered by a DeWitt weed barrier.

Ipe wood seems ideal based on its quality and longevity. After reading lots we've determined to use stainless fasteners from above, countersunk with plugs (rather than clips). The 5/4 long ipe boards will be 3/16" apart.

The only thing I'm concern about is the ventilation issue. If, say, 2.5"x2.5" screens were placed every three feet around the perimenter of the two sides of the deck that are not adjacent to the main house, would that probably be adequate? Or would fans be needed to pull air through the entire structure after a rain. Is it also necessary to put interior screening inside the interior joists?

Thanks for any thoughts you might offer.

Comments (3)