Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to improve drainage in concrete patio?

Posted by tomatotomata (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 14:47

I have a concrete patio that doesn't slope sufficiently, so water pools after a rain. I don't want to demolish the whole thing, so how can I get the water to drain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to improve drainage in concrete patio?

You don't say how large the pad is. Other factors would include any clearance against the home foundation and your soil. Are you in a freeze zone?

Possibly it could be mud jacked to create drainage. Or, possibly a drain could be drilled into the slab and a tube inserted below to carry away the water. Last option which comes to mind would be applying a top coat on the existing pad with a grade.

These are not inexpensive and it might be overall better to replace the pad.

o

Thanks for the response, fnmroberts. The pad wraps around the house on two sides, and it about 20' deep, but it is actually a patchwork of pads, I suspect each installed at different times. It is against the side of the house, but not the front. We never get freezing temps here.

Now that I've typed this all out, I's beginning to suspect you are right; I fear I'll have to demo and start over. Yikes.

o

It does sound large and not shaped suited for mud jacking.

If rain gathers in just a couple spots and they are clear of furniture, consider getting a commercial grade floor squeege - look in a janitorial supplier or on-line perhaps. They have "wings" on the ends. I've seen them in car dealers to push winter slop toward the drain.

Another idea - talk with a landscaper about installing pavers atop the existing concrete. At least you would not have to remove the existing concrete.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here