Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck around box bay - ledger board length

Posted by markwarren66 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 14:27

I am looking to build a deck attached to my house and have a question regarding the ledger board. I have built a deck before but it was freestanding. There is a deck in place that is 9' wide, which is the span of my kitchen box bay. The bay is built into the foundation and the current ledger is attached to it.

I want to extend the width of the deck and have limitations on each side (basement stairwell on one side, vent on the other. While I know I can relocate the vent, I'd prefer not to.

I have 5' on the stairwell side, and just about 3' on the side before it hits the vent. My question, is, can I install a ledger board that is only 3' long? I want the total width to be 16'.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you need more info. Basically, it would be 3 ledger boards....one just short of 5', one 9', and one just short of 3'.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck around box bay - ledger board length

I wouldnt and I'm pretty sure your local town code wouldnt let it pass either. I'm not and engineer, but it seems the srength of the ledger is the multitude of bolts holding it across its total length. FYI, most codes don't allow ledgers to be attached to cantilevers, which is what your bay window is if I'm reading it correctly. I just built a raised deck with two cantilevers; one a bay window and the other a fireplace. We had to run the joist wild under the cantilever and attach it to the house underneath. This made the floor lower and may require an extra step to the door, but the building dept would not allow it any other way.

o

I'm not an engineer either, but I disagree with Peak. I don't see why 3 sections of ledger board would be any weaker than a single one, as long as they're all sufficiently bolted into the rim joist. If you think about what's putting load on the ledger, it's the joists that are butted into it and the boards on top of them. A long ledger is supporting all the joists collectively, but a short ledger only has 3 (or 5 or whatever) joists bearing on it.

You are correct that the ledger needs to be attached to the main rim joist, not a cantilevered bay. But it sounds like the OP's bay may be built in such a way as to support the ledger.

Got pics?

o

I agree with weedy and have seen ledger boards pieced in the past. As long as it is thru bolted to the rim joist should be no issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here