Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

Garapa Gold Deck Pics

wxtrender
16 years ago

Here is a link to the deck pics....haven't been able to figure out how to load them here but at least this works..

Here is a link that might be useful: Garapa Deck Pic 1

Comments (19)

• wxtrender
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a link to the second picture...same deck different angle...

Here is a link that might be useful: Garapa Deck Pic 2

• ng622
    16 years ago

wxtrender:

That is a beautiful looking deck. We are about to have a deck built and I think we are going to go with garapa as well. Do you have any tips or tricks you can share from your experience? What fastening system did you use? Did you have to pre-drill anything?

Thanks,

Nick

• riles_j
    16 years ago

Very nice deck wxtrender. What size boards did you use? 1x6 or 5/4x6? I am getting ready to install a garapa deck myself. How do you like yours? Any tips you care to share on the install?

Thanks,
    Riles

• wxtrender
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NG622

We pre drilled, countersunk and screwed all 480 sq ft. Me and another guy did it all in 2 days. Lot of work, especially in the sun. We used stainless steel square drive screws. Toughest part was ensuring our lines were straight and prying the slightly bent boards into place. There is some tool called a bow wrench that supposedly makes it much easier but I wanted to experience the most pain.

Buy plenty of drill bits as they tend to break when they get hot...we found drilling 6 or 8 holes and then stopping and letting the screw guy go gave enough time to let the drill bit cool off. Also buy plenty of screw bits as we snapped several off. If you spin the head using stainless screws back them back out and replace....once the stainless coating has been scratched the Garapa will turn black as soon as it gets wet near the screw...we had 2 screws we missed... Also get Anchor seal....you have to coat the cut ends of the wood or they will split...and Anchor Seal is not that easy to get unless your wood supplier has it.

Thats about all...still working on the railing, gonna do Deckorators and using Garapa for the posts and rails.

• wxtrender
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Niles_J

We used the 1x6 which is actually 3/4 x 6" joists are 16" OC and its feels like I am walking on concrete...no bowing or springiness. See other comments in earlier post on fastening tips

Wxtrender

• riles_j
    16 years ago

Thanks!

Can't wait to see your Garapa with the Dekorators because that is what I am planning. Please post some finished pictures.

Riles

• joanct
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I don't know anything about this Garapa decking material. How does it hold up in the direct sun? How often do you have to refinish it? Is it less maintenance than IPE? Can a handy husband do a small deck or does it require professional help?
    Thanks---:)

• nelson_ohio
    16 years ago

Hi wxtrander:

I know you've only had it down for a month or so? Have you noticed any movement in the wood? I can not decide between the Ipe and Garapa, there isn't much info on Garapa at this point.

thanks for any info you have.

• riles_j
    16 years ago

wxtrander,

any new pics? how's the railing coming along?

riles

• ekoreilly
    16 years ago

I like that color, where do you buy this stuff at ? whats the hardines to cold and snowy Central NY area?

• wxtrender
    Original Author
    16 years ago

New Pics coming soon...maybe this weekend.

To Joanct: Seems to be holding up just fine, its very very hard wood. a little checking but hardly worth noticing. Not sure about maintenance...will have to be maintained at least once per year...typical of all wood but if you don't mind the gray color don't do anything.
    Not that hard to do...I am just a kinda handy husband myself...

To nelson_ohio: Stuff doesn't move at all..maybe a slight cupping on my top hand railing but really haven't noticed anything that would stand out. The decking is stright as can be.

To ekoreilly: Can't believe that cold and snow would have any impact on this stuff. I bought mine from East Teak...guy named George...great guy to deal with.

• iowark_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

We recieved a sample from East Teak and the color had a lot more orange tint to it than your pictures. Did you hand select the more blonde color? What did you use to treat it?

Cheers

• deckman22
    15 years ago

Garapa turns color once it's in the sun. Fresh from the mill it looks very yellow, but turns amber colored in only a few hours in the Texas sun. You can use a brightner to bring it back to original color before staining if you don't like the amber color.

al

• doug_andrea
    15 years ago

If the Garapa tuns colors quickly in the sun, and knowing that it will take days to install all the decking, could I stain/seal all the decking before installation?

Is there any negative to sealing before installation?

Is there any negative to sealing all four sides?

Thanks

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

I just finished a 16' Garapa octagon deck with the black alum balusters. The rail was the last thing to do of course the sun turned the Garapa a very nice golden brown color combined with twp cedartone natural finish and that thing looked really good. I defentley would not try and keep the meterial from turning the effect is stuning. J.

• doug_andrea
    15 years ago

That sounds beautiful John - could you post a pic?

Thanks

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

NO pictures from the John Mon over here. I have enough problems with folks lifting them from my site/ using for com some place else. J.

• tworst
    12 years ago

Nice deck wxtrender. But did I read correct - you used 1" nominal,3/4" actual thickness deck boards on 16" centered joists? That seems highly impressive. I was considering 5/4 or even 2x6 garapa. Should be cheaper for 1" boards.

• wxtrender
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tworst:

That is correct, the stuff is actually 3/4" thickness. Trust me its as hard as a rock...no bending between joists.