Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

updating front stoop, concrete

chris_ont
17 years ago

Hi,

I just bought a little bungalow that is in very good shape, with the exception of the front porch/stoop. I have arranged to replace the wooden steps, but I'm wondering what I should do with the concrete part.

It's very solid and I haven't noticed any cracks. The railing is also in good shape.

Obviously, that carpet stuff has to go. But then what?

Scrape and paint? Cover the whole thing in wood? (there is room to extend it like a porch toward where the camera is, but there is a little metal roof right over the door, so that might look weird.)

What sort of materials are used on this? Is it a fairly easy DIY project?

Any advice on what to do with is is much appreciated.

Not a lot of dollars for this right now - I'm mainly looking for cosmetic solution rather than a whole remodel.

Comments (5)

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

First thing.
    Visit the previous owner. Ring his doorbell. When he opens the door. Slap him in the face with a white glove.
    I can't believe he had the nuts to sell his property without taking 1 Saturday afternoon to rip those stairs and carpet out. What a friggen pig. What was he doing, holding mud-wrestling bouts on his back porch.
    Rip those stairs out, and carpet.. right off the bat.
    Get a concrete cleaner. Then you can replace those stairs.
    If you don't want to spend too much money or time, simply get an outdoor carpet and lay that down.
    On the left side of the picture I see cracked concrete. Make sure your structure is sound.
    I'm sure alot of people will give you ideas to do with this.. from extending it, the roof, to laying down wood, tile.. polishing the concrete, etching it... you have alot of ideas to consider.. but since you said budget is limited... a good cleaning, new stairs will improve it 100%..

• chris_ont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heh, I guess this looks worse than it is. It was raining heavily that day and the water stains make this look awful. Or worse, anyway.
    Can concrete cleaner be bought anywhere, as in Home Depot etc? Is there a brand?

Regarding the left side. I'm not sure it's a crack (see pic). The slab seems to be sitting on concrete pillars poured with sono tubes (or however that works). It does look rather worn, doesn't it?

Maybe I ought to look into having the whole thing taken down and replace with a little wooden porch. Some day :)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    17 years ago

Before I'd spend too much money, I'd have the structure evaluated. With just one picture it's hard to tell but I'm not sure I like the look of connection between the footing and slab.

Assuming the structure is ok, the cheapest solution is to just clean things up. Rip up the carpeting. A little concrete cleaner (available at any home center) and perhaps a power washer. Repair/replace stairs. Some lumberyards sell precut stringers.

When the budget allow you could put down a wooden deck. Use sleepers directly on the concrete and your decking over that. New railing or reuse the old one.

"Ask This Old House" did a segment on spiffying up an concrete porch. Not quite what you have but the idea is the same. You might want to watch for it.

Mike

• behaviorkelton
    17 years ago

Chris,

How do you post a pic in this forum? Is there a FAQ on this?

Kelton

• chris_ont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

See below

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pictures