Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Screen Porch, finally, 3 years in the making!

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

Three years ago our back porch was listing and we knew we had to have it repaired. The 1920s vintage footings for the porches were concrete poured in nail buckets. In the process we decided that we should screen the porch in and make it look similar to the upstairs screened in sleeping porch. Finally the screening was completed on Monday! The reason it took so long, is that my dh wanted to do all painting and repairing before the screens were up. I'm so pleased. Our house is not beautiful, but it is a nice practical comfortable home. The trim is white (and peeling) in this pic - not sure where the yellowy green came from!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

We also replaced the skinny corner boards with wide ones all over the house at the same time. The porch faces east and the siding is a bit washed out looking cuz of the morning sun. We used Screeneze system (downstairs, upstairs is traditional screening.)

We have these engineered wood steps that are nice to sit on and a stone patio so that we still have outdoor living space.

I'll have fun setting up the porch. There's still a lot of painting to do but now I have a lovely bug free place to rest in the evening.

We had to replace several of the front porch footings too, but that isn't completely painted yet, so I'll post that when done.

Kathy

Comments (9)

• User
    13 years ago

Boy, you have made SUCH a difference in the appearance of your home. You must be very proud of the work you and your husband did. Having the steps and the patio is great. And I notice that along your fence line you have some fine flowering plants, another feature which shows how much pride you take in your home. Good show! Will look forward to seeing the front porch when it is done too.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I love porches! I think every home should have at least 1! They are so inviting & so great if enclosed & bug free. My aunt used to use it to cool her Christmas candies & store her Christmas baking(So. Dak. was very cold back then). Grandma's lake cottage had 1 & it had a swing/bed hanging from the ceiling. That is where I spent my time when I was there unless I was swimming. At the corner before the porch turned & went across back(lakeside) was a table & chairs for dining. Lake side had several easy chairs or rockers to watch kids swim or play at bottom of the hill. You are so lucky to have another 1 upstairs!! Jan

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

I love porches too!!! When my daughter moved to the South most prople have screened in porches, I would love to screen in our patio. Your house shows so much tender loving care. Congrats for work well done!

Sylvia

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dh says it has only been 2 years, lol
    It has been a good year for hollyhocks. I can see one big planting of them from the screen porch. I don't know what I did with dh's camera. It looks like the house a whole big yard away is looming over the fence.
    {{gwi:163384}}

Kathy

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Wow, ya'll did a great job, it is so pretty and homey. I love older houses and yards. It's also nice that you get to visit with your neighbors, that used to be the main function of porches in the south. DH and I spend a lot of time on our back porch, but it is not screened in, the bugs are not to bad here most of the time. I can't wait to see the front of your house.
    Frou

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Oh that's lovely! Dontcha just love it when one project just changes the whole look of the house!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

What a beautiful job Kathy! LOVE the transformation. I know you'll have hours of good times out there. TFS!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

GORGEOUS! And I feel no pity at all for the bugs! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! LOVELY PORCH!!! Love the new stairs too! Great job all around! I grew Hollyhocks this yr and one kind has opened up, "noire", the other one is a random one so will wait for the suprise! Also Klinger/Cindy gave me some she grew from hers(seeds) and they will be super lovely as they have a double bloom look. Did she give you some seeds? 3 are growing so I am excited!