Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
constanceann

Gossen Passport Decking - anyone?

constanceann
13 years ago

We are in the planning stages of removing a 25 year old PT deck and replacing it with a 4 season room and wrap around deck. We have "enjoyed" the scraping and re-painting enough. We have decided to go with Gossen's Weather Ready Passport (vinyl) decking because we really like the look and think that the vinyl will wear better than a composite. I am looking for comments from anyone who has used this product. We are also leaning toward using the hidden fasteners as opposed to the screws with matching color heads. We feel the screws could look like a lot of rivets. I would like some comments regarding the hidden fasteners as well. I have read they work well and look good but I think I read they are tricky to install and may lead to problems if you have to remove a board in the middle of the deck... Thanks for your help.

Connie

Comments (4)

• chasmat_netzero_net
    13 years ago

Hi Connie!

I am thinking about using the Gossen Passport decking this spring. Did you decide to use the Gossen decking with the hidden fasteners? If you did, please send me an email and let me know how it is working out for you.

Thanks!

CM
    Seattle

• terrybale
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey guys,

We installed Gossen`s Passport Decking two years ago, and now wished we hadn`t!
    Our contractor (nice guy with years of decking experience) followed the instruction manual provided by the store where purchased. The deck looked great for about a month or so. After that time we noticed the deck scratched pretty easily and also large gaps appeared where the boards met each other. After two years these gaps have shrunk to almost half an inch (where once they were tight)! Also the boards have curled up at the ends, a trip hazard and very unsightly.
    Even though after doing research on the composite options out there we thought Passport Decking to be the best option. In our case it is now highly scratched, has large gaps where the boards have immensely shrunk, boards have seriously curled up, and the boards are very slippy when wet.
    I dont blame the contractor, I believe the product does not properly serve its purpose over a period of time.
    After seeing friends decks and doing even further research I would suggest Trex as a safer long term option.

T.B
    San Clemente C.A

• constanceann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear the problems you have had. We used the Gossen Passport Decking on a wrap around deck in RI where the temps can go from below freezing to 100 degrees. We are also near the ocean. We had the deck built during the fall of 2010 and have not had a single problem. We had a contractor with lots of experience in deck building but this was the first time he used this particular product. We do use a plastic snow shovel and only a coir mat with no rubber backing, to protect the plastic decking. We do not have any gaps, no shrinking and no scratching. I can not explain the problems you encountered. We love this product and have recommended it to our neighbors.

• David Marro
    3 years ago

I’ve had this decking for about eight years now probably the worst decision I ever made super super slippery when it’s cold or wet. Two people have fallen when I said surgery in the winter I close it off people are not allowed on my beautiful looking deck. I had an experience contractor install the product it expands and contracts cracks fades and scratches. I have bought many outdoor carpets that will not dry when it rains when it’s hot you get shocked going in and out of the house. I do not recommend. A representative from the company came out twice and gave me a few quarts of oil to seal the risers on the steps because they faded badly which I refuse to put on a product that has a lifetime guarantee no support. I am happy to show anybody my deck.