Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New Deck

Posted by greenloon (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 13:02

Hey all and thanks in advance for the help.

I have looked all over the forums for a very specific answer and whereas I have found several related answers...I was hoping you guys could help me with mine.

We recently had a deck installed. It is a hardwood deck and was just completed last week. I want to stain it soon, but am unclear on the steps necessary to do so. I have refinished porches and decks in the past, but never anything brand new. My question is this:

After sanding my new deck does anything else need to be done before I stain it? Do I have to wash it or being it is so new can I just sand it and then stain it?

If anyone can help me out with the steps to staining a brand new hardwood deck it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New Deck

What kind of wood is the decking?

o

Well, despite reading some negative information, we went with dark red meranti. Our contractor has been in business over 20 years and says he has always used it as his inexpensive hardwood option with no problems as long as it is maintained like any other deck. He is very well known and highly regarded in our area, so I went with his word over the few posts I read to the contrary.

o

Well, despite reading some negative information, we went with dark red meranti. Our contractor has been in business over 20 years and says he has always used it as his inexpensive hardwood option with no problems as long as it is maintained like any other deck. He is very well known and highly regarded in our area, so I went with his word over the few posts I read to the contrary.

o

Sorry for the bump...but I am really in need of some guidance.

o

It's not rocket science greenloon. You sanded it...now you better seal it before mushrooms start growing.

steve

o

Well, thanks, no need for the smug remarks though. You could easily just answer a question without trying to put someone down. I came to this website looking for help and just get left with a bad taste in my mouth.

I have refinished decks in the past...so I am not completely clueless, I have just never had the luxury of having a newly laid one. Not to mention, if you bothered to read more clearly, it isn't sanded.

What I am, sorry, WAS asking, is does it need to be washed or since it is new wood, is the sanding sufficient?

But thanks for the help, stud. I didn't realize gardenweb.com was such a haven for your type.

o

"such a haven for your type"??

Sounded basically like short, helpful advice to me (meaning keep it simple and seal it i.e. no need to wash new wood).

o

greenloon,

You wrote...

"After sanding my new deck does anything else need to be done before I stain it? Do I have to wash it or being it is so new can I just sand it and then stain it?"

That led me to believe that you sanded it already.

You also wrote...

"I have refinished porches and decks in the past"

that made me think that you were experienced...so why are you asking for help.

Now you're copping an attitude because I'm not running over to sand and seal your deck for you, or holding your hand while you do it.

There is tons of info already archived here on gardenweb. Do your research, so we don't have to keep repeating the same thing over and over.

Here it is again...

Sand your faux mahogany deck immediately, and seal it with the product that you choose. You may not be a funguy, but you will have some growing on your new deck before long...if you delay.

steve

o

I am sorry, I did not appreciate this gentlemen's effort to make me feel stupid, homebound. I am one of the nicest, friendliest people on the planet and did not deserve that, in my opinion.

His reply just supports my assertion.

It was meant to insult.

Sorry to anyone who got their time wasted by this.

o

I'm a nice guy too. I've spent a lot of my time here over the last bunch of years, giving out free advice that took me a long time to figure out on my own.

"Sorry to anyone who got their time wasted by this"

That would be me. I'm done wasting time.

o

MY My Greenster where did that Stud thing come from you looking or what.

Your man has been puting down Meranti for 20 years,like back in the 80s???? why dident he tell you how to finish it?? Back then the carpenter boys were only using that lumber for inside trim. For good reason its not all that great for outside use but of course your guy knows better he just dont know anything about finish.

Im not a nice guy at all, but even I will advise you to put the finish on right away dont wait for anything but good weather,sand where needed,you dont need any prep, and come on back anytime. J.

o

Ok, I've read all postings and need to make a decision between the three finishes that I believe may work on my Brand New Deck, CWF UV Cedar recommended by handyman, TWP 100 series by john_hyatt and Sikkens SRD by multiple people and my builder. I just had a 630 sqf ceder deck buildt three feet off ground with railings and two sets of steps. I live in Northern MN where we have cold and snow for 6-7 months a year. I've tried most of they other brands on others decks with poor results. My goal is to us as clear a finish as possible that will allow me to re-apply every year or two without having to sand off the old finish. Does anyone have a recommendation or update on the finishes mentioned before I have to make a decision. Thank you.

o

Gawd dang guys - can't we just all get along?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here