Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trex to replace PT

Posted by jensor (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 11:51

I have a 20x14 PT deck. I'm switching to Trex. I decided after buying the decking, I should also do the Trex Elevations so the decking doesn't get wavey due to the imperfect wooden joists. I have 4 posts since my current 2x10's span the 14 ft. The deck is only 6" off the ground if that so a drop beam is not possible. The header beam (opposite the ledger that the joists go into) is currently two 2x10's that the joists run into (no cantilever). On to my questions.

If I go to Elevations and start over...they are 8" joists. So I need an 8" ledger. Should I put the new elevations ledger ON the existing ledger or replace it all together?

Back to the header beam, same thing. I assume I should replace it with the Elevations beam? Should I replace it with 2 beams or would one suffice? If two beams, should I bolt them together like I did the wood? Since these won't warp maybe I don't need to do that or just bolt it in a few places so it doesn't slip?

I'm also picture framing the deck with surface mount posts as railing (I think). Surface mount posts need support underneath so I figured I'd add a steel block (horizontally though) flush with the joists for the post to grab onto. Anything wrong with that logic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trex to replace PT

What?

o

Yeah, I confused people. I guess I'm at a point where I just want opinions on whether I should keep my existing wood framing which is in good shape except for a few boards...or should I switch to Steel so I don't need to worry about any more warping over the years.

o

Why and how is the framing "warping"? If this is happening you may have a serious issue on your hands and I would stay the hell off the deck until you have someone look at it, because a properly installed deck framing should not be "warping". Pictures may help with opinions on here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here