Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewdsm

Stains: what to avoid...

andrewdsm
17 years ago

We have treated thousands of decks in the Iowa regions. We have built hundreds of decks. Our suggestion to all Do-It-Yourselfers is never use any type of stain that has acrylic, latex, heavy paraffin (wax), or oil and linseed (as main ingredients) in it. Acrylic will form a hard shell on the top surface and will last about 6 months to a year if youÂre lucky. Latex is basically rubber and will last about the same maybe 18 months. Both will flake and peel away. Paraffin will eventually chip, peel and flake away; Linseed and oil will flake away within 3 months to 6 months. Acrylic and Latex are very damaging to wood and suffocate the wood much like placing plastic over your mouth and will not allow the wood to expand and contract as needed. The wood may buckle and cause nail raising and splitting of the wood. They both are also very hard to remove evenly. Recoating of the stains with several coats will only make things difficult and expensive to refinish or replace the damaged wood. Some stains we avoid are TWP, Flood, Behr, Cuprinol, Minwax, WolmanÂs, ThompsonÂs Water Sealant, Olympic, & Rhinoguard. Some stain manufacturers claim 3 to 8 years on the longevity when they last only 3 months. Some claim that using more coats is better; when it really will not. Remember that one coat is ok, but better to use no more than two in any one year, and always use proper cleaning techniques prior to applying the second coat. If you have questions call (515) 974-9734 and we are happy to answer your questions. So I donÂt leave you hanging, we use www.penofin.com Happy Staining!  R & A

Comments (10)

• andrewdsm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Correction: TWP is not supposed to be on this list of products that we avoid. Sorry for the confusion....

• spartacus_33
    17 years ago

Andrew,

I don't see Duck Back (Superdeck) on your list of stains to avoid. Is this because you've not experienced negative results with it....... or just don't have any experience with it? Thanks steve

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Overall an accurate post. You have some misconceptions listed about breathing and expansion but otherwise I agree with your points.

Just to give you food for thought.. I also have Penofin on my list of "won't use". Perhaps it has become better over the years but I have found the pigmentation and mildewcide to be lacking. Here in PA it is rare to see it because it doesn't hold up. Or at least, like I said, that was my past experience with it.

• curious1
    17 years ago

I was looking for information and feedback on Cabots SPF products. I had a deck built last year and just put on the first coat of SPF 48. It gets direct sun all day, so the SPF was important to me. I had heard some issues with it peeling, so I used extra effort in brushing it into the wood. I would be interested in your thoughts and if there is anything I can do to ensure this asset lasts a long time.

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Ken,
    I only use Penofin on my decks. Easy to apply, and looks great. I have never seen, or heard of a mildew problem with it. Granted, I rarely get to see my decks after I finish, but I think I might have received some callbacks over the years. One thing about Penofin, though...it fades in one season on very sunny decks. I know this because I have been invited back by clients to a few bar-b-qs on "my" decks.

steve

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Steve, I haven't sen a Penofin deck in a couple of years so perhaps they bettered the formula with more mildewcide but every deck I have seen and many other contractors I talked to experienced the same thing, has been almost black after a wet season. Keep in mind also Steve, I may be giving an unfair review bcause nine time out of ten improper homeonwer prep is the cause of failing issues.

Curious, the name SPF has nothing to do with ultraviolet protection. From what I hear now, Cabot's is recommending that people sand with very low grit (40-60) for the product to get bite. Again this is another product that 100% of the time I have sen premature failure.

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Ken,

Penofin might work well here in Brooklyn because it hardly ever rains, and it's 70-80 degrees 365 days a year.

wait...pinch, pinch...that was just a dream. $h1t

It does rain here, but it's not a wet environment. and almost everyone of my decks is in full sun, much to my chagrin.

what sealer do you recommend for ease of application, with all the good qualities? Don't tell me Pressurepro's special elixer :-)

steve
    recovering from a hot, friggin day in the sun

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

drink a beer and relax, Steve. Its too hot too work. I just don't recommend Penofin. Cheap materials make cheap products.

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Ken,
    OK, you don't like Penofin. I knew that already.
    So...what do you recommend for finishing Ipe decks? Something that's easy to apply, and lasts.

steve

• warwickpat_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

What do you reccomend in Colorado with lots of sunshine. I have used Penofin. Looks good but fades.

Pat