Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TimberTech prices and DIY advice...

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 11:42

I have been eyeing TimberTech decking for several years...and I think we finally will be installing a deck soon!
My husband and father have installed several pressure-treated decks over the years and are generally handy...is this something a better-than-average DIY team can handle?
--our local building supply has Silver Maple or Brown Oak (Terrain, I'm guessing?) in stock for $2.90/linear foot. Is this a good price? Where do you buy TimberTech at it's lowest price? And is this as good as the other TimberTech products? Of course, I like the multi-colored look of the highest price stuff, but if this is ok, I'll go with one of the two colors.
--what stuff do I need for a 10'X20' deck? 21 boards, but what tools? Risers? ConcealLoc? Where do you get those fasteners cheapest?

We really can't afford a contractor putting this in, and are really stretching to use composite in the first place...so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Sarah in Albany, NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TimberTech prices and DIY advice...

I had replaced an 800 sq foot deck with Trex and Azek as the rails. The contractor had to install extra joists .

The local lumber yards sold all material for the same cost.
Home Depot carries some of the Trex materials and the hangers.

United building supply in eastern Ct sells the products as does the local lumber yards.
The contractors get a discount price .

When you cut the planks there will be an accumulation of,plastic shavings. I have used the dry vacuum to pick up the debris or I had laid a tarp under the table saw to collect the debris.
Contractor thought I was nuts. I hated the shavings blown into my garage and the inground pool.

I spent near nine grand in materials for the 800 sq foot deck. This included the joist boards, the railing, the hangers , and other nails.

You can use screws instead of the hangers. I have moved recently and replaced three decks and a set of stairs with gossen using screws.
The new home did not need the hangers since we do not sit on the decks but are just stepping areas into the home.
Be careful screwing near edges of the boards or they will split.

o
RE: TimberTech prices and DIY advice...

To see if you're getting the best price, hunt around on the internet. Google the exact part number for best results. Many surprising things are on ebay and amazon, as well as through suppliers all over that sell in their local store plus online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here