Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree fell on deck, ins $, talking to contractor Qs

Posted by kiki_thinking (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 11:28

3tons of tree fell on our deck a few weeks ago. The insurance adjustor just came yesterday, said he will give us "half a deck". Itemized lists and $amount estimates should arrive in mail this week, but I don't ave details yet.

Our house is a fixer upper and I already have a couple of big projects underway, so have not given much thought to the possibility of replacing the deck until the tree fell. We also have roof and rafter damage so we need to get a contractor here pretty quickly.

Our deck is older, ugly, and the railing is definitely unsafe.

I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas on how to approach the planning of the repair.

I can't see how to merge new and lovely with old and bad workmanship and make it look right. New safe railing abruptly connected to old bad railing?
Old boards beside new? Should I reduce the size of the new deck to stretch the ins$ to include new railing all the way around? Should I have them dismantle the whole thing and only rebuild the half that ins pays for to avoid the piecemeal look?

I don't know what I will do with only $ for half a deck.

Any advice appreciated. Will try to post photos.
Thx!
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree fell on deck, ins $, talking to contractor Qs

We need photos to offer any sort of meaningful advice.

o
RE: Tree fell on deck, ins $, talking to contractor Qs

Need pictures.

Depending on what is actually damaged you may be able to just remove that portion and rebuild the damaged area.

If you want to upgrade the deck you will likely have to kick in some money unless you do the work yourself.

With you supplying labor even "half a deck" in insurance money may get you enough materials to upgrade the whole thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here