Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weluvnik

Ipe porch is built... now what? So confused!

weluvnik
13 years ago

Construction of our ipe wrap-around porch is now done -- but I am so confused as to what to do next! The information online is so conflicting and overwhelming -- some people say sand, others say NEVER sand; some say wash, others say don't wash. We definitely need to clean it up somehow, as we have some water stains and other spots that I'd really like to get rid of before we apply our stain (leaning towards messmers as it is available locally). What do you recommend? My ultimate goal is that smooth, wet-look finish that everyone shows in pictures!

Comments (11)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

For the 1000000000000 time sanding ipe has no effect one way or the other far as puting on the finish goes. Another urban mith that will not go away. Wash it anytime you want.

Messmers is junk. I use twp 100 series and build coats for the look you are talking about.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

Sand. Get a 5" Ridgid ROS and some 50 grit disks...and sand.
    I sand all of my decks before sealing. If you want to see the results, go to my website.

steve

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

Personal experience is a definite thumbs down on Messmers. The TWP 500 series has faded quickly but I never had an opportunity to build it up. Not ready to give up on it yet but would love to try the TWP 100 series. Cannot get it in California......

• weluvnik
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And so the confusion continues. Two very experienced and talented contractors, 2 very different recommendations. As for product... John, I have read your thoughts about TWP and am scared off by the fact that they don't recommend their own product for use on ipe. I understand you have developed your own technique for the application, but we are not as experienced as you are and I am concerned if we don't do it just the way you do, it will not work. What about Woodrich? I have read some good things about it.

• weluvnik
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve - I looked at your website and your decks are gorgeous! What stain do you use? Do you use a prep wash in addition to sanding? Thanks!

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Woodrich is good outdoor finish. Its also a twp clone,not a bad thing. There is no differance between puting on twp and woodrich finish. If by prep wash you mean oxalic a person can do that usually I dont on new wood. J.

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

weluvnik

thank you, wish it looked as nice today as when the pics were taken but the stain didn't last. In response to the sanding - I have done both and do not see and real difference. The larger one was simple stained, the smaller one was sanded then stained. (It takes a while to do the sanding by the way and I was using a Rigid ROS)

After about 6 months, I stripped (and used a brightner) the original stain (Messners) and applied TWP 5xx series. The color was nice. Unfortunatley, we got a heavy fog that night and everything got wet before it dried. I have not had an opportunity to reapply the stain yet. The house is close to the coast and I have not figured out how tell when we will get the fog/moisture. We only get there every couple weeks for the weekend (we are getting the house ready to retire to)

Here is a link that might be useful: ipe deck info

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

I always use Penofin (western red cedar formula). It's easy to apply, looks great. and is available locally, at the same yard that supplies my Ipe.
    Whatever you choose won't last long, as Ipe is too dense to penetrate. You have to reapply every year (sunny deck) or every 2 years (shady deck) if you want it to maintain that new deck look. My clients that want that look appreciate that I use a product that's easy for them.

I never prep wash. After good sanding, I blow the dust off with my compressor, and give it a good sweeping. Then I apply sealer.

steve

• weluvnik
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brooklyn, I checked out the penofin website and the stain they make for hardwoods only comes in the color "transparent natural." The stains that come in a Western Red Cedar color are Blue Label Penofin and Ultra Premium Penofin. Can you clarify which product you use? Thanks so much!

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

As I said above...western red cedar...the blue can. Not the Ultra. I don't know if it's any better, or worse than what the other guys here use. I've never used any other product.

steve

• weluvnik
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!