Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labfm

Pergola anchored to patio wall caps

labfm
12 years ago

Hi all...

Newbie here. I've tried searching through google, but couldn't find anything, so I'm looking for any help I can.

Here's the deal. My wife and I put in this patio last year. Flagstone patio floor mortared to 4" thick concrete. The patio has seat walls and pillars, all done with CMU blocks. CMU blocks were set on top of the 4" concrete base as well. Cultured stone mortared onto the CMU blocks for the walls and pillars. 3" thick limestone caps used on the pillars; 2" thick limestone copings used on the walls. (see pic)

* Note, when we were digging to pour the concrete base, we dug to frost line where the walls and pillars were going to be; filled those with construction rubble and poured in concrete.

** Note, the the pillars are ~ 20" tall and are hollow on the inside.

*** Note, patio is 15' x 12'

{{!gwi}}

Now, after a year, my wife wants to put a wood pergola over this area, but set on top of the pillars (see pic above). We really don't have space to put the pergola anywhere else. So it's either it can go there or no pergola at all.

I have never done anything wrt pergolas before, but will have a carpenter friend who'll do all the wood work e.t.c.

I have some questions:

(1) I have no idea how to attach the support beams (6x6 cedar) on top of the pillar caps. Is that even possible? If so, what suggestions do you have?

(2) My friend came up with a suggestion of drilling 3 holes completely through the limestone cap, then since the pillars are hollow, pouring in some dry cement and water, then sticking 3 pieces of rebar in the holes so that one end of the rebar will set in the concrete, while the other end will be protruding out of the limestone cap. Then once it is dried and steady, have pre-drilled holes in the 6x6 beams and sliding the support beams on top of the rebar.

Is that a good idea? Has anybody ever dealt with drilling holes through limestone?

{{!gwi}}

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed....

thanks

Comments (2)