Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch Design Ideas for Makeover/Curb Appeal?

Posted by fairfieldcircle (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 9:08

Hi, all,

I could use some opinions and ideas for improving the curb appeal of our little ranch, please? ~~ I thought maybe adding an uncovered porch for a couple of rocking chairs(i.e., a slightly raised concrete patio with a white railing) across part of the front would improve the looks and be lots of fun.

I have been researching different styles of porches and railings on the Vintage Woodwork site

http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/porposbalrai.html

But I'm wondering if their railing ideas might be too much and/or too expensive for such a modest house. I visited Home Depot and Lowes but I didn't care for their pvc and composite components and they said I would have to order wood components.

Does anyone have recommendations on sources or ideas that would keep costs down but add curb appeal?

Does anyone have an eye for 'scale' and 'detail' and could recommend what style of porch railing would work with this ranch?

Here is a link to the GW thread about our house with photos of the front (from the 'Home Decorating' Forum) The house is undergoing renovation and now is painted off white with blackish green shutters and has an oak front door.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0612145426070.html

Any thoughts on how to do a porch/stoop/patio would be much appreciated. Thanks. f.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch Design Ideas for Makeover/Curb Appeal?

FYI Here's a photo of the front of the house (a 'before' pic):

o

From the curb you most see the large tree in front of the two windows by the door. Does that tree have to stay?

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

I had the tree guy out today and he said he could 'limb up' the tree so that from the street there would be a good view of the house.

He maintained it was such a great tree that it shouldn't be taken down (also it would cost a boatload of $$ to remove it!)

Any more ideas?? I am curious about what you think!

p.s. I love your photo album.

o

Clearing the bottom branches of the tree would reveal the home. I suggest doing that first and then taking another look at it. You see the tree blocks any curb appeal. Its' just a big tree hiding the house. Don't get me wrong, if you it can be trimed up from the bottom to reveal the home, then you'd start to have curb appeal.
The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here