Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pergola design

Posted by Malapp (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 8:55

I have some design questions about a pergola 14 foot wide by 12 foot long. I am replacing a pergola attached to my townhouse on two sides. The two sides of the townhouse form an “L” shape. I want to cover the pergola with polycarbonate sheets.

Because of my community regulations, I can’t expose the cover. So, my idea is to space my 2 x 10 top 24 inches apart and then attach 2 x 2’s inside the beams creating a 4:12 slope. The polycarbonate would be fastened to the 2 x 2’s and supported with a 2 x 2 cross member every 2 feet. I live in Miami Florida and plan to use hail proof polycarbonate.

Similar to the method used to attach the polycarbonate sheeting, I would run another 2 x 2 inside the beams creating 2’ x 2’ boxes that will have bamboo matting stapled to it. Lastly, to create a finished look, I would cover the visible perimeter of the boxes after the bamboo is stapled with 1 x 2’s.

My 14-foot wide beam will be 3 2 x 10’s sandwiched together with adhesive and screws and then attached to the top of my 6 x 6 post with BCS post caps. The 2 x 10’s would have to span 10 feet from the side of the house to the top cross member. The 2 x 10’s would be fastened to the house using joist hangers. They would not be visible from below.

Is my design idea faulty, will the 3 2 x 10’s support the load of the pergola? Do I have enough slope to allow for drainage of rain water? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pergola design

Here is my pergola that was built over a portion of my patio to support kiwi plants. The kiwis are in their first year.

o
RE: Pergola design

Have you thought about retractable style blinds inside the pergola so that you can retract them (think old school blinds). Someone told me they were available and may provide an option for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here