Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seek Pics for Underdeck Skirting Ideas

Posted by bradesp (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 8:16

Can anyone point me to some online pics of underdeck skirting for inpspiraction? My IPE Deck is 4 feet off the ground and I'd like to screen the underside with something besides the cheap, diagonal, pre-made lattice from the lumber supply houses...

I was leaning towards two ideas. One is a simple square lattice pattern I build from scratch using a 1x4 or a 1x3 size lumber. I'd also like to use something in a white synthetic or a material that will hold a high quality paint for a very long time... perhaps a harditrim type board?

The second idea is a oversized louvered approach using 1x6 boards mounted on angle. Again thoughts, pics welcome.

All suggestions are appreciated.

bradesp
raleigh, nc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seek Pics for Underdeck Skirting Ideas

I've used 1x6 louvers for privacy screening, but never deck skirting, not sure it would look good plus expensive. If you want white I've seen plastic lattice at Lowes.

I like your square lattice idea, however I'd go with 1 1/2" wide material instead of 3 or 4" stock. Another thought, use your 1x4's horizonally with 1 1/2" space between the boards. I've used this on several decks for skirting, it looks good, cheap, & fast.

Al

o
RE: Seek Pics for Underdeck Skirting Ideas

Although my deck is not as high as yours (22" max) I had the same dilemma -- didn't want to use lattice. I ran across "mobile home skirting" at Lowes. It is solid (keeping critters out) and was easy to cut and modify to the angles associated with my deck. I used the "large stone" product and it comes in brick-looking also. From a distance (the 16th hole of the golf course) it looks like real rock holding up the deck. I was pleased with the choice I made (actually my wife's idea).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here