Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining Clear Cedar 1x4 T&G

Posted by jumab (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 8:04

We will be installing clear cedar strips on our patio ceilings and soffits and have heard that it is not wise to stain for the first year because it will just flake off until the cedar is "weathered". Is there any truth to this? I'm concerned about leaving it untreated so it doesn't turn grey in our climate. As well, does anyone know of a stain I would be able to use that could closely match natural walnut?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining Clear Cedar 1x4 T&G

There is No truth to that. Its an urban mith that just will not go away.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

o

Thanks John, I was hoping you would reply. I'm going to be heading to a paint store to look at some stains tomorrow.

o

Even on new cedar a quality oil based finish will not flake or peel. I would recommend that you talk to the people at Woodrich-Brand. They also have a lot of good information on their web site. I believe their stain color Amaretto would closely match Walnut.

I'd be happy to email you a picture of new T&G cypress that was stained with the Woodrich stain in the Brown Sugar color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodrich-Brand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here