Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large cedar columns for front porch...how-to?

Posted by steph0509 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 7:56

We are nearing the end of our build and decided to tackle the porch columns and railings ourselves. We're wanting to do those nice stained columns (about 8x8). We've heard that most people use 6x6s and wrap in 1x8s. Someone recommended not using treated wood for the 6x6s because they will sweat once they're wrapped.

Has anyone ever done this? I'd like to know what type of joint is used in wrapping. Do you use the anchor brackets on the 6x6 so it's not visible?

Any resources you have is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large cedar columns for front porch...how-to?

I don't know about the technical aspects of properly wrapping a porch column, or whether to use treated wood.

However, before wrapping a porch column with real wood, I would be thinking about how to put a durable finish on the wood. My neighbor spent a small fortune having a custom wood garage door made. The door looked gorgeous for about a year, and then the finish began to fail. After three years, the garage door looked like crap (faded & peeling).

Also, I would consider a vinyl or PVC wrap, if I could find one in a wood-look material that looks good.

Some manufacturers (e.g. Georgia Pacific & CertainTeed) make nice synthetic wood-look sidings, but I don't know whether they make similar wood-look materials for wrapping columns.

This post was edited by GypsyWaterfowl on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 22:55

o
RE: Large cedar columns for front porch...how-to?

Look into square fiberglass columns as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here