Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradesp

Should I Repair Warped IPE Decking? If So, How?

bradesp
16 years ago

See pics of my warped decking board below.

I have an IPE Porch and Deck with 2-3 warped boards that have cropped up 3 years later... The boards are attached to the framing via an aluminum T shaped connector that has tongues that slip into the slots on the side of the decking. I'm perplexed as to what I should or could do to repair the decking... perhaps saw the connectors our and replace the board and face screw the new boards in place?

All suggestions appreciated.

Bradesp

Raleigh, NC

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• joefromsd
    16 years ago

Brad, that's the problem with all of the concealed fastening systems that slip into the board's sides. When the wood moves they can slap out again.

Probably the easiest fix is to pry the boards over, use shims to hold them in place, then face screw them down again and plug the holes. After the new plugs weather out you'll hardly see them.

• deckman22
    16 years ago

Another example of why all of us deck builders preach not to use those hidden fastner systems.

Do like Joe says, screw & plug.

• bradesp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK Guys, I get the point. What I was hoping for was some helpful insight on what if anything I could consider doing to force these warped boards back into submission.

Ideas? Perhaps a bow-wrench to re-align the boards and then face screw the boards down?

bradesp

• jas0n
    16 years ago

Unless someone has a trick to use a bowrench this way I don't think it would work, you need open joists to hook it on and space to rest it on the side of the deck boards.

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Joe had a good idea, drive some tapered shims between the boards until they are close to the right place, screw the decking down. This might take several shims,everything is going to want to move as you drive them in,just go slow, watch how the movement goes. You could screw down the few deck boards that are holding to give you something to shim against.

Has anyone mentioned its a bad idea to use the clips??? John

• dooer
    16 years ago

A chisel works like the shims, but you have to be careful to not damage the wood. Ipe is pretty hard, so that is not usually a problem.

• tonim
    15 years ago

"use shims to hold them in place, then face screw them down again and plug the holes"
    Why not use duct tape too?

Clips are the way to go. You just gotta use the right ones. Ones that actually screw into the wood, at an angle is even better.

Using shims and face screws is doing the same thing as a clip just not as well (face screws back out, even with plugs), just slower, uglier and won't last as long.

• brooklyndecks
    15 years ago

tonim,

thanks for your 2 year old reply, but...
    clips are not the way to go, unless you are a clip salesman.

steve

• aidan_m
    15 years ago

Tonim,

You say "face screws back out"

Please explain how you have observed this. I am intrigued...

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

I also am intersted in that statement tominster. J.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting