Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Repair Warped IPE Decking? If So, How?

Posted by bradesp (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 7:56

See pics of my warped decking board below.

I have an IPE Porch and Deck with 2-3 warped boards that have cropped up 3 years later... The boards are attached to the framing via an aluminum T shaped connector that has tongues that slip into the slots on the side of the decking. I'm perplexed as to what I should or could do to repair the decking... perhaps saw the connectors our and replace the board and face screw the new boards in place?

All suggestions appreciated.

Bradesp
Raleigh, NC
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Repair Warped IPE Decking? If So, How?

Brad, that's the problem with all of the concealed fastening systems that slip into the board's sides. When the wood moves they can slap out again.

Probably the easiest fix is to pry the boards over, use shims to hold them in place, then face screw them down again and plug the holes. After the new plugs weather out you'll hardly see them.

o

Another example of why all of us deck builders preach not to use those hidden fastner systems.

Do like Joe says, screw & plug.

o

OK Guys, I get the point. What I was hoping for was some helpful insight on what if anything I could consider doing to force these warped boards back into submission.

Ideas? Perhaps a bow-wrench to re-align the boards and then face screw the boards down?

bradesp

o

Unless someone has a trick to use a bowrench this way I don't think it would work, you need open joists to hook it on and space to rest it on the side of the deck boards.

o

Joe had a good idea, drive some tapered shims between the boards until they are close to the right place, screw the decking down. This might take several shims,everything is going to want to move as you drive them in,just go slow, watch how the movement goes. You could screw down the few deck boards that are holding to give you something to shim against.

Has anyone mentioned its a bad idea to use the clips??? John<<< yucking it up!!

o

A chisel works like the shims, but you have to be careful to not damage the wood. Ipe is pretty hard, so that is not usually a problem.

o

"use shims to hold them in place, then face screw them down again and plug the holes"
Why not use duct tape too?

Clips are the way to go. You just gotta use the right ones. Ones that actually screw into the wood, at an angle is even better.

Using shims and face screws is doing the same thing as a clip just not as well (face screws back out, even with plugs), just slower, uglier and won't last as long.

o

tonim,

thanks for your 2 year old reply, but...
clips are not the way to go, unless you are a clip salesman.

steve

o

Tonim,

You say "face screws back out"

Please explain how you have observed this. I am intrigued...

o

I also am intersted in that statement tominster. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here