Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small garden wall..

Posted by livvyandbella (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 7:39

I would like to build a simple wall around my garden. I have seen how people have ....I think I would call them flat pavers, just fitting one on top of each other, maybe two feet tall. My husband can no longer get down to do it because of poor knees, and I would like to attempt it. Can someone explain how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small garden wall..

The ones sold at Home Centers are called landscaping blocks. They're fairly heavy - perhaps 20 lbs apiece. Measure about 12 x 6 x 4" thick.

If you can work with the weight, you need to dig a trench about 6" deep. Place a couple inches of limestone screenings on the bottom, using this to create a level base. The first row of block will be at or below ground level. Use a level adding or removing screenings to make this row level. The remaining rows are simply stacked atop like a brick wall. You can use adhesive to secure the blocks to one another if you wish.

I've done it and it is work. If you take your time though and do a little at a time you'll be fine. Good luck.

o

Thank you. I don't think I will be doing that. Didn't realize they were that heavy. I think I was thinking of something 1/2 that size.

o

The smaller ones aren't heavy enough to remain in place and retain soil. There use to be one with a pre-drilled hole for driving a pipe through. When you're at a nursery or home center, take a look at what is available. Could be something I'm not familiar with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here