Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing old adhesive from concrete

Posted by hemnancy (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 6:27

We are trying to get my MIL's house ready to sell and removed some outdoor carpet from the front concrete stairs/porch. The adhesive is quite tough and patchy, a yellowish color. I've been trying to chip it off but that is very hard and time consuming. Someone else bought grey paint to put on the concrete but the label says it makes the concrete slippery when wet (but an additive would help- would that include adding sand?) and also cannot be used on vertical surfaces. Any ideas for removing the adhesive easily without exposing myself to petroleum distillates, or should I just use the paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing old adhesive from concrete

If you don't want to use a solvent, abrasion is the only option left. Try a right angle grinder with a wire cup wheel. You'll want to wear respiratory and eye protection.

You'll find anti-slip additives for paint in the paint department. Usually pretty close to the flooring paints.

o

Seriously, this is the best scraper Ive ever used. It will scrape ANYTHING off concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warner stiff blade scraper 1.5

o

You might try a heat gun to soften it up along with a scraper like aidan uses or a straight blade razor/scraper.

o

I just went through a similar thing. 30 year old astro turf green carpet on our front porch and planning to sell the house. I tried an adhesive remover from Lowes but it didn't do anything. I hired someone to grind it off. He had a small hand grinder and it took them a long time but it got done pretty well. There was a crack underneath that was repaired. After that it didn't look that great. No reputable concrete person would skim coat because it won't last. They coated it with a product called miracote. I think it was the MPC version. The porch is 7 x 16 and it cost $750. I got quotes of about 2K to re-pour the whole porch. The guys doing the miracote could have done a better job but the house sold and no one complained. It should last for years. We looked at two part apoxy but it would have been to glossy and slippery and wouldn't have looked like concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: miracote mpc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here