Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clear roof over patio

Posted by ktmast (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 4:01

I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over our screened patio. We live in Calif. and have no issues with snow. About 10 years ago, We had our general contractor install flat clear panels from Tap plastics. The didn't hold up very well. A few years later, we switched to the corrugated panels that they sell in home improvement stores like Home Depot. I thought they were getting dirty, but after checking more closely, I realized that they are discoloring where the cross beams are underneath them. The plastic seems to be warping some too. It looks like I will need to replace them again but want to have something that is going to be more durable. I really want clear because this is off my kitchen and if we go with a solid roof, it will block a lot of the light. I love the airy feeling of the space, just can't seem to find anything that will withstand the intense afternoon sun. Please help with recommendations and advice as to what products will be more durable. Hopefully, the 3rd time's the charm and we won't be looking at this again in another 5 years!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clear roof over patio

Home Depot has two options for clear roofing; you may have chosen the cheaper one. The pricier one is supposed to last a lot longer and stay clearer. We just installed it in December, won't know for a while!

o

If it stays clear won't it be covered with debris the wind blows in and have to be cleaned? I would love a sun room but cleaning all of those windows keeps me from having one put in.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 11:25

o

Thanks Steiconi, I will have to check out which we got. Emma, our panels are sloped. They do have some debris, but I can easily hose the panels off from my second story. When we had the patio built, I had the contractor run a water line on the roof. We have a flat roof and the second story part of the house doesn't cover the whole first story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here