Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rained 12 hours after appling deck stain

Posted by jb_nj (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 3:41

I applied a Cabot semi-transparent stain on a small deck and a heavy thunderstorm passed over 12 hours after I finished.

Cabot's recommends 24 - 48 hours drying time.

Any chance it could have dried in time? How will I know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rained 12 hours after appling deck stain

jb, I'm no expert.

FWIW, I read "Let stain dry thoroughly before using deck. Allow 12-24 hours depending on temperature and humidity."

It probably dried to the touch within a couple hours. Also, you didn't use the deck during that period, i.e. no foot traffic to rub off the stain.

Anyway, IMO unless it starts peeling or flaking I would just wait a year before restaining.

Look at it this way. If you hired a guy to clean and stain your deck. It's unlikely he'll come back because it rained the next day. Things happen. Enjoy your deck.

o

I had my semi-solid cabots oil get rained on about 12 hours after & it looks fine. Good luck getting enough sun to dry the deck for a few days, allow you to stain on your day off & then not rain the next day. Surely not here in New England!

o

This just happened to me! 10% chance of precipitation and I guess I got unlucky. It looks ok, but the water is pooling on some boards and I'm not sure how it will look when it's dried. Of perhaps more concern is the fact that the water is not beading...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here