Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trey4u_gw

Pavers Adjacent to a Hard Surface

Trey4U
9 years ago

(I am posting this question at several forums to get a wider disimenation of my question and hopefully a wider response)

I'm gathering information for a paver installation around a pool and was wondering how high above the coping I should set my pavers to that after using a plate compactor the coping and pavers will be at the same height. The only thing I've found so far is to install a few pavers letting them stick up 1/4", run the compactor over them and see how they settle. If the pavers end up too low or too high, adjust the sand bed up or down. I guess with different sands in different parts of the country and with different pavers, the compaction will vary so 1/4" is a starting point. I just hate the thought of renting a compactor for an hour just to check and see how much extra I should leave above the coping so everything ends up even. I'll need a compactor for the aggregate base so if I guess I could get a small area ready and use the compactor before returning it. When all pavers are installed, get the compactor again for a day and run it over everything all at once at the end.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is 1/4" too high for a starting point? I have no idea how much 1" of sand will compact with pavers on it.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler