Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Baluster's - Anyone Have these?

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 1:52

Desperately wanting a clear line of sight from 2nd floor balcony (new construction). The flat glass panels are not common in this area and are considered expensive and custom.

The glass baluster, by Deckorator, seems like a less expensive option plus it allows lots of air flow through the balausters.

I am not finding much information from people who have installed or had these installed on their balcony. If you have any information I sure would appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Baluster's - Anyone Have these?

We have an "Egress Porch" off our kitchen dining area and did not wish to block the view. A local glass shop cut and tempered the panels. Did this quite a few years ago and don't recall the cost but it was reasonable.

Bistro Table photo DSC_0011_zps7460b303.jpg

o

I'm only familiar with one house with glass balusters, they were vertical glass pieces, maybe 2"-3" wide, spaced about 3"-4" apart.

This was a beach house. The idea sounded nice to the owners, but they complain about the glass being dirty. Dried salt spray, etc.

Similar to this:

Another alternative is cable railing. Some locales don't allow it as they perceive it as being "climbable". You'd have to confirm.

Here's an example of cable railing:

o

The number one complaint I hear about glass balusters is they get dirty, fast. Especially in places like mongoct mentioned, near the water, places with lots of rain, wind and dirt. If they have already proven to be expensive and custom I think that cable railing would be an excellent alternative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here