Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piedpipurr

Gable glass vs. screen

piedpipurr
12 years ago

We are having a screen porch built and originally we asked for a glass gable. Now that the porch is framed out and the roof is on I have decided I do not want the glass gable. To me it is a lot of money ($800.00) for something that is so high up and will be hard to keep clean. We also get afternoon sun and someone said that the glass would increase heat inside of the porch area whereas the screening would not cause as much heat.

I also have asked for the lattice to be done with English lattice vs. regular lattice. This was an afterthought since I didn't know of this type of lattice when we originally planned the screen porch. Regular lattice was priced in to the job.

Now the project manager is telling me that upgrading to the English lattice will probably be a "wash" for the cost of the glass. I measured the areas where the lattice will be installed and it looks to me that we will need about 5 sheets. When I told him I found it hard to believe about the "wash" he said that installing the screen tight system in the gable was more labor intensive than installing the glass.

I went to Lowes and priced the English lattice and it is about $37.00 more a sheet but I'm still having a hard time believing his reasoning. I think he is trying to get out of loosing the $800.00 for the glass.

Any feedback on this would really be appreciated.

Carole