Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Escapable e-grass windows in deck??

Posted by RockiesMama (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 23:16

We are having a deck built over 2 basement e-grass windows. The deck will be about 1-2 above these windows. One of the windows will be covered with bars subway style at deck level, but the other window needs to be escapable. Any suggestions on how we should do this in a stylish, yet functional way??

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Escapable e-grass windows in deck??

Do not think one exists and I do not believe one would pass code if it did exist.

o

I don't understand the question really. Do you have to have egress up through the deck, is that what you are saying?

Basement level egress windows in my neighborhood have grates over the well, and for security reasons they have a chain that attaches to a hasp with an easily removable pin, from inside the window well.

It keeps people from getting in through your window but allows you to easily open it from the inside. You would not need it to lock down like this but the grate of this type would work. I would think that a wooden slatted "grate" that fit into a recess but was flush with the deck surface and could easily be pushed up would also work. You may need to provide a ladder to climb up onto the deck Some egress wells have these built-in.

My building has some hinged grates that are held by locks that can be opened from the inside. I don't know that this would meet current International Residential Building Code, but is acceptable as preexisting by the Fire Department who has made us upgrade our smoke detector and alarm system several times in my residence here, but has not requested that the grates over the egress windows have their locks removed.

o

Your questions are very confusing. Bars installed at deck level? I thought you said the windows are under the deck?
Stylish in what way, the appearance from the basement or outside?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here