Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crashball

Advice replacing porch floor

crashball
13 years ago

I am looking to replace the tongue and groove flooring on my 1913 home. Its covered, but will get wet with snow and rain. Menards in my area has TAG pressure treated pine or douglas fir. I would like to stain it to match the ceiling on the porch, but also because its a peeling mess now which it part of the reason we want to replace.

Cost wise i'd like to do the AC2 treated boards, but i'm not sure how well it would look stained - it has that permanent green hue to it. Fir was the other option, and while a little more expensive, i'd rather it look good. I did see a note on the treated lumber saying it should be sealed on all sides, and not with just a water sealer - so it sounds like basically they want it painted - but i want to stain. Can i reliably stain AC2 wood and not have any warping issues after i get the boards down. As far as fastening it, i was thinking of predrilling and using stainless trim head screws through the tongue.

Can anyone offer some advice to my situation? Does anyone stain their TAG porches, or would it be best to paint? I just want the finish to hold up for more than a couple of years, and stain seemed like the easiest to redo when it was time.