Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help-I have an overwhelming deck mess

Posted by loretta_2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 22:55

Our deck is 8 years old. We first power washed it and stained it with Cabot semi transparent oil based stain. After having to restain it twice, I was looking to not have to do it so often. It is over 1,000 ft. with two teirs, railings etc. So I pressure washed it again, used Cabot primer on the whole deck, and painted it with Cabot solid color acrylic last summer. It took two months and $1700 to have someone HELP ME paint it. Now it is peeling everywhere. The pieces that are flaking off are right down to the wood. I am not sure what to do. Do I rent one of those Vibrating-plate sanders I have read about in previous posts? Cabot suggested use wood cleaner, deck brush, sand with 80 grit, re-prime, and two more coats. I am afraid it will just do the same thing again. I don't want to do this again next year. Please help- I'd never paint it again (two-tone, beautiful but this is crazy) to do it over, but it's already painted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help-I have an overwhelming deck mess

What kind of decking is it. J.

o

Pressure treated pine

o

Keep painting it. J.

o

J

Meaning what? Don't sand it down and use another product? Is there no hope? Is the pine really just that bad?

Loretta

o

I would guess that the wood had too much moisture which caused the solid stain to lift. I would sand any loose old stain areas and use a blower to remove all dust etc. and then apply two coats of a solid color stain. I have had great success with the Behr solid color stain - holds up well and a great price. Good Luck!

o

Pt pine that has that maney paint like finishes on it is going to have to be painted again. It would be silly to strip it down to bare wood and start again.

Yes pt pine is that bad.

Dont shoot the Mesenger Loretta!!

Just pick one, even behr,it really dosent matter just pick one and keep using it. Sanding the flakes off is a good idea but I would not do anything else but wait for good weather. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here