Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oreocake_gw

Afraid to restain w/ SW Deckscapes

Oreocake
12 years ago

I used Sherwin Williams semi transparent oil based stain on my deck for 20 years. Every 3 years or so I it would wear off, so I put on another coat. It always looked great and I was very happy with it. However in the fall of 2009 when I went to SW to purchase more stain I was told that it was discontinued and replaced with Deckscapes. I put that on my deck and hated it. First, It took forever to dry. It was thicker than what I had used previously and shiny like paint, but the can said it was semi transparent. All last summer it seemed to attract dirt. I actually had to

scrub the deck every week or so because it looked so dirty. It also peeled off some places where the patio chairs moved around. So I decided to strip it off and restain it. What a big job this is! I'm almost done and need to choose another stain If I switch to a different brand, I won't be able to get the same color. Do you think I maybe got a bad batch of stain, or was it just time to strip after so many years? I'm afraid to use Deckscapes again, but if I use a different brand I will have to change the color and think that the railings won't match. Has anyone else had these problems with Deckscapes? Is there another brand that is better, and will it cover over the old stain on the railings and match the floor which is now back to the original natural color?

Comments (2)