Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experiences with thermally modified wood decking?

Posted by cellomama (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 22:18

Hi, all. We are planning to replace our teeny "builder's deck" with a larger, nicer deck but are all over the map in terms of materials. Makes the bidding process a lot more complicated.

I'm not a big fan of the look (or maintenance) of cedar. The contractors here (MN) seem to have limited experience with Ipe, and we're not sure we love the look of it. We were quite excited about one of the colors of the TimberTech XLM, but a recent Consumer Reports states that XLM had significant sagging within a year, so now we're nervous about that.

One of our contractors suggested thermally modified wood. We like the look of it, but it's the first we've heard of it and would love to hear some real-world stories.

Any one looked into this or used it? I'd love your feedback and experiences.

Thanks in advance -
Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experiences with thermally modified wood decking?

Do not belive Anything CR says involving Construstion. They are not bad far as buying a toster.

The XLM will not sag if its installed corectley.

Geting specks on the tosted wood is a real problem. I have never seen a real life project decked with it 4/5 years down the road over here or on any other site I visit. I am thinking go on and try it!! That way we would have a test case to go by. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here