Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Deck protection

Posted by fbock (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 21:45

I have a cedar deck which has been protected with multiple coats of Cabot Silcone Waterbased Waterproofing. It repels water but the wood is very dry and needs some oil I think to keep it from creaking. I live in Eastern Washington state where the summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and snowy. What is a good product to protect the decking. I like the natural and/or weathered look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Deck protection

Twp works like a champ on cedar decks, that's what on my cedar deck at home. I've tried just about all of them & til someone comes up with something better it'll be TWP for me.

Al

o
RE: Cedar Deck protection

Sorry...but treatments with silicone in them HAVE to be removed completely or the next stain will peel in short order!!!
* Oils won't penetrate the silicone.
* This will have to be stripped/sanded-through, so new stain can absorb & hold evenly.
* I'm NOT a fan of "clear water sealers" for decks!! All they do is keep water out...for a while.
* They do little or nothing for UV protection.
* The SUN is what destroys/breaks-down wood-cellulose.
* This protection comes from a pigmented stain.

>>> I've got a 13y/o Redwood deck, and I wouldn't let Thompson's or a "Clear-sealer" within 20' of my deck...

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here