Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need stainles steel bolts for ipe deck posts?

Posted by tadr (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 21:37

I am in the middle of building an ipe deck. Decking and railing are both ipe. I understand that I generally must use stainless steel fasteners with ipe, due to the staining that HDG fasteners will cause. That makes sense for the decking screws and railing screws.

But does that extend to the railing posts that are mounted inside the framing, where nobody will ever see the connection? Is there any structural reason I need to use stainless steel? I assume the stain won't creep up the post, correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need stainles steel bolts for ipe deck posts?

Hey tadr,

Besides the staining or streaks standard screws / Fasteners will give they will also rust out and weaken over time. You want your Screws / Fasteners to last as long as the Ipe will i.e. Stainless Steel.

o

Thanks, Builder-Bob.

In that case, any ideas where to buy stainless steel bolts? I searched around online all morning (looking at both the usual online sources and websites of local retailers - e.g., home depot, lowes, etc) and came up pretty much empty handed.

I'll need 1/2 x 6 and 1/2 x 7 1/2 hex bolts for my railing posts... lots of them. I found a few sources online that had them for $6-10/bolt, but I find it hard to believe that people actually pay that much. Am I crazy?

I already used HDG fasteners and hangers for all of the pressure treated framing, so I am not too concerned about the corrosion problem of the hardware itself, just the staining/discoloration on the ipe. This is not my "forever" house.

o

If your using pressure treated for the posts and framing hot dipped galvanized will be fine. Just do not use electro-galvanized nails.

o

No, I am using 4x4 ipe for the posts, which is why I am concerned about staining. The framing is all PT, the railing posts, railing, and decking are all ipe.

o

Definitely use SS then. A good hardware store or a real lumberyard should be able to get them for you fairly reasonably priced. Stay away from the box stores for anything deck related in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here