Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Treatment for Cedar Privacy Fence

Posted by mrmichaeljmoore (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 21:15

Had a cedar fence installed last year (November 2006). It is cedar panels with cedar posts.
My wife and I love the color and natural look of the fence....that's why we ultimately went with wood instead of vinyl.

From what I have read on these forums, I have a number of options on how to maintain the fence. My wife and I have narrowed it down to the following choices:
1. do nothing and let it weather naturally to a gray finish
2. treat it with a product to maintain its natural color

We don't want to stain it or paint it.....we definitely prefer the natural color of the wood as it is now or as it would gray naturally.

My questions are these:
1. Am I compromising the life expectancy of the fence by choosing to do nothing and let the fence gray naturally?
2. If I go with option #2, what is the best product/system to keep the fence its natural color...as it is now.

Thanks for the help.
I've attached a few photos as well.

DSCF1455

DSCF1446

DSCF1440

DSCF1444

DSCF1441

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Treatment for Cedar Privacy Fence

Yes you would be compromising the life of the fence by doing nothing. There are several contrator grade products available. First you have to decide on weather you want to take this on yourself, that is alot of fence (lol) looks great though. Do some reading there are products that can let it gray or protect the color or contact me and I can help you out if you like. It is alot of information to cover, not like painting a wall. Where are you located?

Ryan
ryan@lanerenewseal.com
832-577-1846

o

The fence is located in Connecticut....

o

It depends if your fence is treated or not - talk to the contractor about this. We had installed a partial cedar fence that is not treated and we purchased from Menards, and had contractors install a treated fence in another area of our yard. We are letting them both go natural and grey out, but I was told our original fence isn't going to last as long because it's not pre-treated. The pre-treated cedar (natural, no stain) will have a longer life expectancy. Of course, staining and sealing any fence is going to expand the life expectancy, but it's also a lot of work to maintain, and once you do it, you have to keep up with it.

o

Michael email me. I will give you the skinny it does not take much to maintain if you use the right products.

A treated fence only protects you against bugs and decay. Not warping, checking, splitting and greying. Let your treated fence got without water protection and it can in most cases split worse than untreated. Learned this one at 17 years old when the Old Mans elevated deck fell apart after four years due to no water protection or UV protection.

o

Thanks for the help so far, Ryan.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or tips or past experiences in maintaining a cedar fence?
Just trying to get as much input and suggestions as possible so I can compare and then make a final decision....

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here