Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birgit_gw

Decided on Ipe ... A few questions

Birgit
17 years ago

Hello All,

I have been lurking on the site for about 6 months and just went back through all the posts to try to find answers to my questions. I didn't find them, so I am hoping some of the experts can help me.

We have decided to go with Ipe for our deck (thanks to this website). We'll have 2 decks (one on either side of the house), totaling about 1,100 square feet. The larger deck will be 2 levels (@ 36" and 18") and about 900 sq/ft. The other will be 200 sq/ft (@ 36") with a hot-tub on the decking surface. We'll want to screen in the hot-tub side.

We're planning on the low-maintenance silver look. We went and saw the two Ipe decks in our area over the weekend. One guy has done absolutely nothing (zip/nada) to his in 3 years, and the wood is still absolutely beautiful (except he used clips which I didn't like the look of). It's in full sun with no trees, which probably helps some. He wants to go back to brown, so I suggested Ken's product to him.

Now that I've described our setup, here are the questions:

1) We'll use 5/4 x 6 Ipe (George @ ET). I have read that you can use 24" centers ... is that advised, or is it better to stick with 16"? I've seen some posts about this topic, but they all address the 1" Ipe. Obviously, I'm not talking about the hot-tub part. Also 2x8 or 2x10 joists?

2) Screws ... Again, most posts address 1" Ipe ... 2.5" seems to be the length, but I've seen #7 and #10 suggested. Trimhead square drive seem to be preferred.

3) End sealant has been discussed (some say use it some don't). What are the advantages of using the Tightbond III instead of AnchorSeal?

4) Should we seal the top of the joists with construction adhesive for a moisture barrier?

5) John Hyatt -- where did you find the lexan panels for the pergola on your website? We would like to do the same for our hot-tub enclosure (though you did say in one post that they were a pain in the behind to install).

I think those are my main questions for now. We have only one guy in town who has installed Ipe (2 of them), but he is retiring and doesn't want to build a deck as big as ours (plus he's very pro-clip), so I will be sinning by using a newbie Ipe builder. I know I'm not supposed to, but I can't really help it. I'll at least try to find an obsessive-compulsive one. :-)

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your assistance!

- Birgit

Comments (5)