Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get stain off vinyl siding

Posted by erinb007 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 19:22

Ok, the neighborhood kid did a pretty good job staining my deck except that he got a lot of stain on my siding. What's the best way to get this off?
Thanks!
Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get stain off vinyl siding

If it was a water based stain, I'd try something along the lines of "Goof Off". It's available at most hardwares and is made for removing dried latex paint.....not sure if it would work on stain, but I'd give it a try.

o

Stain on vinyl, once it cures is very difficult to remove. Goof Off is a good start. (any of the butyl cleaners like Krud Kutter)Watch your dwell time, you can easily make the problem worse.

o

You may want to try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've removed permanent marker from a wood desktop with this Magic Eraser. It takes crayon off walls and doors.

It can be found by the cleaning products in any store.

o

I would not use Goof Off. I had this same thing happen to me and used Goof Off and yes it did take the stain off and also took the dead layer of color off the siding. Now I have spots that look bad. I didnt realize my 7 year old siding faded that bad until this happened.

o

Thanks much!

o

I tried Spray Nine Automotive Cleaner and it worked wonderfully. Simply sprayed on and wiped away. I even removed oil stain from 3 years ago.

o

My painter got stain (oil-based) on my new vinyl siding last year. It didn't bother me much until we had a new back walkway installed last week. I would like to remove the stain, but not harm the stone walkway. Any suggestions?

o

Wet the walkway with water first then use one of the above mentioned cleaners. Rinse everything down when you are done.

o
RE: how to get insecticide stain off vinyl siding

I desparately need to remove Pyrethrin insecticide stains from my vinyl siding. A reckless pest control technician sprayed under siding to kill ants and residual liquid ran out and stained my siding in several places.

Is there any way to remove these stains without discoloring siding from surrounding siding?

o

I just used carb and choke cleaner that you can get anyplace that sells motor oil, etc. and the stain wipes right off with no scrubbing! Just be careful not to get it on any painted trim or downspouts as it will soften the paint.

o

I tried most of these suggestions (magic eraser, goof off, pvc cleaner, acetone polish remover) and the thing that worked without warping my siding was good ol' steel wool.

o

try these steps for either vinyl siding or decking (as I did)
*latex paint -
when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean, should be now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 16:05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here