Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

how to get stain off vinyl siding

chicagoerin
18 years ago

Ok, the neighborhood kid did a pretty good job staining my deck except that he got a lot of stain on my siding. What's the best way to get this off?

Thanks!

Erin

Comments (21)

• lestert
    18 years ago

If it was a water based stain, I'd try something along the lines of "Goof Off". It's available at most hardwares and is made for removing dried latex paint.....not sure if it would work on stain, but I'd give it a try.

• pressurepros
    18 years ago

Stain on vinyl, once it cures is very difficult to remove. Goof Off is a good start. (any of the butyl cleaners like Krud Kutter)Watch your dwell time, you can easily make the problem worse.

• kimmers71
    18 years ago

You may want to try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've removed permanent marker from a wood desktop with this Magic Eraser. It takes crayon off walls and doors.

It can be found by the cleaning products in any store.

• dave61348
    18 years ago

I would not use Goof Off. I had this same thing happen to me and used Goof Off and yes it did take the stain off and also took the dead layer of color off the siding. Now I have spots that look bad. I didnt realize my 7 year old siding faded that bad until this happened.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks much!

• pdlecler
    18 years ago

I tried Spray Nine Automotive Cleaner and it worked wonderfully. Simply sprayed on and wiped away. I even removed oil stain from 3 years ago.

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Wet the walkway with water first then use one of the above mentioned cleaners. Rinse everything down when you are done.

• mike4319
    14 years ago

I desparately need to remove Pyrethrin insecticide stains from my vinyl siding. A reckless pest control technician sprayed under siding to kill ants and residual liquid ran out and stained my siding in several places.

Is there any way to remove these stains without discoloring siding from surrounding siding?

• dhcphoto
    13 years ago

I just used carb and choke cleaner that you can get anyplace that sells motor oil, etc. and the stain wipes right off with no scrubbing! Just be careful not to get it on any painted trim or downspouts as it will soften the paint.

• katrinek9
    10 years ago

I tried most of these suggestions (magic eraser, goof off, pvc cleaner, acetone polish remover) and the thing that worked without warping my siding was good ol' steel wool.

• craig1721
    9 years ago

try these steps for either vinyl siding or decking (as I did)
    *latex paint -
    when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean, should be now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
    for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 16:05

• jeetindra Bachan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@mike4319 were you able to find a Solution to removing the insecticide stains ?
    @dchphoto the solution you suggested under Mikes comment was that an answer to his question about removing the insecticide stains ?

• casscop
    8 years ago

did you ever find out if the carb and choke cleaner works? i sprayed biodegradable insect spray and it stained too. just had it powered washed and can still see it! Help

• PRO
    SLE SERVICES INC.
    7 years ago

We cleaned vinyl siding with 100% acetone, now we can see oxidization, should we use something else now to fix the oxidation? It was a stain from insectiside also.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

The oxidation if I am correct is due to the acetone removing the finish and if that is the case you are S.O.of L as you can't repair the finish on vinyl siding.

• PRO
    SLE SERVICES INC.
    7 years ago

ok thanks

• dkn8896
    6 years ago

I just tried this OMGosh! YES IT WORKED! so easy, spray and wipe. Suggestion keep clean rag or clean extra rags because once you wipe it there rag is coated with the stain.

• knoxx66
    6 years ago

The carb and choke cleaner worked?

• airtas
    6 years ago

I power washed my deck which took paint chips flying into my vinyl siding.

When I peeled them off I got marks. Any idea what the stain is and how to remove?

• Keith Rodgers
    6 years ago

Just had this issue and krud cutter worked great